Friday, June 15, 2007

Perfectionism

I've been pondering the idea of perfectionism for some time now. I used to be a perfectionist, I think. I wouldn't turn in homework in grade school that looked smudged or ill-written. I can remember starting over on projects because the initial model just wasn't "good enough". I probably wound up at Princeton in some part because of my perfectionism... I strove to be the best, at the top, perfect.

Or did I? Was I really a perfectionist?

No sooner did my feet land on the ground in Princeton, New Jersey, than I met oodles of other people just like me, striving for perfectionism in more ways than I thought possible. Folks would study non-stop throughout the day and night. My roommate would brush her teeth for half an hour (no kidding! Yumi, love you!) Girls would workout to scary extremes to attain physical perfection. Football players would read Chemistry while soaking injuries in the whirlpool...

Surrounded by such perfectionist extremes, I rebelled. The rat race of my life halted and I began to see that the endless striving brought nothing and stifled my joy. I stopped coveting perfection. I started seeking happiness . Were they related? Was one the means to the other? Or was that the world's definition of perfectionism? Was that the world trying to encourage me toward some end that brought no happiness at all?

Since then, I've left the idea of perfectionism behind (for the most part!). And I have to say, it's felt really good; really stress-free. And as I've come full-circle, I've started thinking about what the true definition of perfection is. When I think of true perfection, I think of Christ. He was sinless and perfect, the essence of God and man in one.

In my short life, I've also found that Christ represent true happiness. There are no greater or happier times than when Christ is at the center of my day-to-day. There is nothing better than being His child and basking in His love.

Therefore, in this philosophically-challenged brain of mine, I think I've come to a new conclusion. If Christ equals perfection and happiness, then perfectionism = happiness. But don't go getting caught up in the world's definition of perfectionism... Keep it rooted in Christ and all will be aok. As always, everything tempered with a little Jesus is perfect. Or should I avoid using that word!? Oh Lord...

Glad to get that out. Thanks for the catharsis...
Please don't hesitate to share your thoughts as this is still a thought-in-progress.

God bless and have a perfect day.

2 comments:

CG said...

I agree with you B: material perfectionism is very different from Christian perfectionism, and we should be very careful to distinguish the differences between the two. Namely that material perfectionism leads to despair and sadness; Christian perfectionism leads to fulfillment and joy.

Seeing as we are all sinners and naturally imperfect, it would be futile to believe that we could ever achieve perfection on our own. In Hebrews Paul reminds us that we can only receive perfection through God's sanctifying grace ("For by one offering he has made perfect forever those who are being consecrated").

However, a perfect union with God is unattainable in this life, thus perfection is reserved for heaven. As C.S. Lewis puts it in Mere Christianity, "If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."

So to be a Christian perfectionist simply implies one who desires to obtain the perfectly supernatural union with God in heaven. Thankfully God gave us supernatural gifts of grace - notably in the sacraments instituted by Christ - to achieve this supernatural end.

So I think the following question should be posed: How can we expect to get to heaven if we are NOT perfectionists in Christ?

B-Mama said...

Isn't that what God's grace is for? To relieve us of the burden of perfectionism...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers