Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Meme about me

My blogging friend, Jen, tagged me for this Meme (a unit of imitation) and I'm pumped to be a part of it. Unfortunately, you'll have to learn a few things about me in the process... :)

"For this meme, each person lists 8 facts/habits about themselves. The rules of the meme are posted at the beginning before those facts/habits are listed. At the end of the post, the person then tags 8 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know that they have been tagged and asking them to read your blog.”

1. I was an avid sleepwalker as a child. My poor parents! Once I sleepwalked while our family was on vacation in Maine. I unlocked our motel door, proceeded along the walkway, and hitched a ride on the elevator. I then woke up in the lobby! Can you imagine the fear in my parents' hearts when they heard me crying and knocking outside our room door? My goodness! I remember my sister clinging to me for the rest of the night after the incident... I've thankfully outgrown the habit!

2. I adore chicken fingers, french fries, funnel cakes... and avocados. Basically, if the food has fat in it, I love it. Enough said.

3. I despise peas. Sorry to hit on all the food items right off the bat, but this one defines me as a person. Haha! I just don't like them one bit. When I was 12-years-old, my mom made me eat 12 peas (one for each year). To get the drama out of the way, I shoved the peas on a fork all in my mouth at once and drank them down with milk. 30 seconds later, they were back on my plate after I vomited them up. My mom never made me eat peas again. Thank you, Mom. ;) They happen to be her favorite vegetable.

4. I have a passion for teaching. I say this with all sincerity. There is nothing like the rush of being in front of a classroom, communicating knowledge and passion for a subject, and seeing students respond with excitement and understanding. What amazing times I had as a teacher!!! I taught high school and middle school for four years following college and miss it dearly. While homeschooling my kiddos sounds amazing, I have a feeling I'll be back in the classroom sooner than later! Can't wait.

5. I worry about being a "good" mother and doubt myself often. I know that sounds trite, but I'm a perfectionist and want desperately to be doing a "good" job for the sake of my children. Recently GG and I hosted some dear friends of ours from LA, who were the MOST encouraging to me as a mother of my two boys. They complimented every aspect of my mothering and it felt so good to have that affirmation... especially since one is a child psychologist! I think this is one battle I will just have to offer up to the Lord, knowing that I should use His love as the basis for all of my mothering.

6. I long for a union among Christians. My senior year in college I made the choice to become Catholic. It was an awesome decision and one that is affirmed daily. My choice, though, was very difficult for my family who are devout Evangelicals. I often wish for more opportunities to share with the world my understanding of the beauty of the Church to encourage greater understanding among denominations. Can't we just all get along?

7. (back to lighter things) I wish to run the Boston Marathon someday. I qualified for the race back in the fall of 2003, but never was able to run it. The qualifying time is good for two years of eligibility, but GG returned from his tour in Iraq the first year and Matthew was born the second. I will run it someday. I will.

8. I adore my parents. Some folks don't like their folks. I happen to love mine... all of them. :) My mom and dad are two amazing individuals. They raised my sister and me and did an excellent job (if I do say so!). My mom is beautiful woman with a beautiful, compassionate heart. I like to think my love of animals comes from her because she is very tender and loving. My dad is a gentle and loving man as well. He was extremely active in my life and made every effort to be involved in what I was doing, even serving as our spare player in neighborhood "SPUD" games. They are both wonderful individuals, who I look up to entirely. And now, Mimi/Mom G and Papa/Dad G are additional loves of mine. They are equally as loving, involved, energetic, and encouraging. They are so caring and generous; the best of people. Love ALL my parents. GG and I are so blessed.

And with that, my Meme is complete! I don't have many blogging friends who have yet to be tagged, but how about--
Jessica, and "Mom" (from Six and the City). Have fun!

No comments:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers