Sunday, June 24, 2007

Alpha vs. Slacker

Constantly beating yourself up about your mothering skills? Yes.

Feel like you're never doing as good a job as the next mom? Yes.

Well, the Today Show has your answers!

In a Friday report, Meredith Vieira described a growing trend in the mommying community to classify mothers as either Alpha or Slacker. "Alpha" moms are "type A" mothers, catering to details and perfection in the raising of their children. "Slacker" moms, on the other hand, are more laid-back, hands-on mothers, who can't find matching socks for their children and really don't care.

My response: Why are we always trying to pin labels on our lapels? Can't I just go one day without having to self-analyze and critique my way of doing things? That's not to mention that I would NEVER EVER place the word "mother" and "slacker" in the same sentence. At its grass roots, motherhood is an all-out marathon race. I never met a marathoner who was a slacker!

Gosh, this whole report unnerved me so... Can't we just mother and not be bothered? Or maybe this just annoys me because it hits on some of my personal mommy vulnerabilities. Remember that perfectionism? Well, despite being over it, I do covet it occasionally.

I took a quiz online to determine what kind of mother I was (falling complete victim to aforementioned labeling) and apparently, I'm "alpha". But I would disagree... I'm more dynamic than that.

No one can label me!
And especially don't ever call me a slacker...
or call any of my mothering friends slackers either!
We work way too hard!!

No comments:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers