Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Behind the iTimes

G-Ville is sometimes stuck in the 80's/90's if you ask me...

This is especially apparent when viewing our musical listening devices. Sitting in our living room is an ancient Sony CD player with an nonworking tape deck. We've talked about investing in something more sophisticated, but end up pushing the old thing to its limits. And why not? It's working just fine and suiting our purposes well...

The same goes for my workout music. All year I've been dragging my ancient Sony Walkman to the gym. That's my tape Walkman, mind you! Come on, I've got some great workout mixes that I can't let go of... The worst is that I workout at a university gym, filled with teenyboppers and college co-eds with the latest and greatest in music technology. You can imagine my horror once when the Walkman fell off the treadmill stand, rolled down the treadmill, and spilled out (tape and all!) onto the floor. I know many of you have had the same experience before... just probably years ago! While for the most part I'm proud of still carrying a tape player, I was aghast at this episode. iPod, take me away! :)

So all this to be said, G-Ville is getting a musical face lift. We are (cautiously) venturing into the world of mp3's and iTunes. GG's Father's Day gift included new iPod earphones and upper arm workout carrier. GG has had his iPod since Christmas and has yet to put it to use. Now, this mama is drooling to get started. (Note: Father's Day gifts can benefit both hubby and wife!)

I take the iPlunge tonight. Wish me luck. Before you know it, I'll be once again blending into society, fitting into social norms right and left.

Is it worth it? Yes, I think so, especially if I can avoid tripping over a flailing Walkman while running in the gym. I must have seemed so ancient to the folks around me. Totally 80's, dude!

Hope you are well and technologically savvy yourselves. God bless and have a great day!


Keeping it cool in Gasperini-Ville...

4 comments:

OH M said...

You guys (and gal) will be totally cool now!

Matthew's ice cream and popsicle diet are doing just fine, I notice.

CG said...

watch out...iTunes can be sneaky expensive when all those 99 cents songs start adding up. Might I suggest also looking into Podcasts on iTunes. They are totally free and many of them are really cool. Might I also suggest using my credit card to fund your iTunes binge, seeing as Geoff stole it from me and I no longer have it.

Ryan said...

Congrats!

I've been an iPod listener for a while, but I rarely use it for music -- I'm a podcast and lecture listener. If you're looking for some neat Catholic-y stuff, I'm the guy to talk to.

If you're in any way interested, give "The Word On Fire" a shot. It's a 12 min homily every week given by a wicked-smart priest out of Chicago. It's pretty consistently the best homily I've ever heard. Great way to start the day or supplement your regular mass. If you listen and like it, I'll give you more -- from young Catholic parents to morning prayer, it's all out there.

Without further delay, here's the link:
http://wordonfire.org

Just scroll down until you see the word "Podcast", then click the link.

B-Mama said...

I'm posting this for my friend, who wrote it after having difficulty commenting. I just want everyone to know I'm not the only one with this experience! haha

Hi Bethany!
I finally had the chance to check out Gasperini-ville (excellent, by the way) and first to pop up is your article on walkmans, etc. Retro music devices, I like to say. I myself just got an iPod for my birthday...last week. :) I had my final straw when, at the gym like you, my walkman fell off the mill and landed at the feet of an old veteran...who was using an iPod. Humph. I go to a gym just outside of Buckley AFB's gates just to get away from the "youngens"...but maybe I need to reconsider. :) So we can explore this world of iPods together. Too bad it takes about 10 minutes to download one song...on our dial-up connection. One foot in front of the other! :)
Take care! Love, Emma

Lilypie First Birthday tickers