Sunday, July 27, 2008

On Joy

Joy.
It comes from an outpouring of spirit... of goodness... of light.
It comes from knowing Christ.  

I am convinced our world needs more of it.  Quite simply, if we all spent 1 additional minute being a little more joyful, a little less impatient, a little more benevolent, our communities would be a more joyful, pleasing places to dwell.  

Mimi reflected on this sentiment today after hearing a wonderful homily on being more joy-filled.  How often, the priest reflected, do we allow joy to infiltrate only certain areas of our lives, while suppressing it in others?  Take, for example, his joy in celebrating the Mass, but his undeniable New York road rage.  Did he really have to be that stubborn in preventing the other car from merging into his lane? 

I can totally relate.  While certain parts of my day-to-day are quite joyful--i.e. breakfast with the kids, outings in the car, storytime at night--others pale in comparison.  And while I would argue that I don't have to appear outwardly joyful at all times (who can really accomplish that anyway?), I can allow more joy into my tougher moments, which might help to soften them and make them more Christ-like.  

Battling for the shortest line at the grocery store = an opportunity for joy.  
Offering up a closer parking spot to the lady in the SUV = an even greater opportunity.
Loving one's children through the ups and downs = joyjoy.

Have a blessed, joyful Sunday!!

4 comments:

sw said...

what a timely post! being more joyful has been an ongoing project for me.

i've found that seeing God in the more mundane details of life and consciously being more joyful has helped me so much, especially over these difficult months.

my opportunities for joy? giving directions to tourists and getting into the subway station just as the train pulls in.

Jess said...

I think of it as being able to find the silver lining in any cloud. That's definitely God at work if you can find something positive. The term Pollyanna has had negative connotations, but I think it represents something to aspire to. Ending up in the slowest grocery line = more time to read the tabloids without having to buy them. =)

Ryan and Amy said...

My latest spiritual endeavor has been to try and implement St. Jose Maria Escriva's (founder of Opus Dei) saying:

Don't say, "That person bothers me." Think: "That person sanctifies me."
(The Way, "Mortification," 174)

I'm finding I'm constantly being sanctified - and that can't help but make you a little joyful. ;0)

God Bless,
Ryan

B-Mama said...

Great thoughts--love these ideas! Good fodder for the day-to-day "joy stealers" (as my mom calls them!) Thanks for your input!!!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers