Friday, May 18, 2007

Things

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves
treasures in heaven... For where your treasure is,
there your heart will be also.
Matt. 6:19-21

This verse has been resonating in my head today as we began to unpack all of the "stuff" from our move. Endless piles, numerous containers, shirt after shirt... Our possessions seem to go on and on.

Are we addicted to things? Absolutely. Are our hearts directed toward these things rather than toward Christ? Probably often.

I am then left with the question--how do I break this material addiction? How do I wean myself of the pleasurable sensation I get from buying/owning/possessing? I don't know if that's completely possible.

Instead I should question--how am I storing up treasures in heaven? Maybe by shifting focus from my earthly hiccups to my heavenly gestures, I can have greater success in the here and now. More prayer, more time in the Word, greater meditation on Christ and his Saints... these "things" would be heavenly addictions I'd love to foster.

And in the meantime, the G's will be taking fewer trips to the store!
God bless.

No comments:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers