Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Ring My Bell

The last 24 hours have been rather busy in G-Ville or at least they have been for me and my budding social schedule (wink, wink.)

Thanks to Mimi, I braved my first practice with the St. Mary's Bell Choir last night. They were in need of new ringers for the summer months and were rather desperate, which explains my invitation. Ha ha! :) (Just kidding, Mimi would die to read this! She invited me because she's a sweetheart and wanted to get me involved!) I must admit, though, it's been years since I've read music and played bells. I'm talkin' the last time I touched a bell was in 4th grade for a church Christmas number. I played piano through 8th grade, but remember very little of the scales, counts, etc.

SO, all this being said, I walked into the rehearsal last night and was so warmly met by the group of ladies there. They embraced me and made me feel loved, despite my apparent lack of musical prowess. I ended up taking the base C and D bells, which are played infrequently (thank God) and managed alright. One song I was doing so horribly, I sat the bells down and listened. Of course it was the song with the booming base cleft and my absent C and D! Oops... I surely ate a large helping of humble pie. Thankfully, I started getting a better feel for it toward the latter half of the practice and felt relatively good when we left. Mimi has offered to help reacquaint me to the different counts and musical rhythms. There is nothing I can't conquer without a little sweat.

Therefore, you can now call me "bell ringer" or "she who rings bells". Perhaps "cacophonous one" would suit you? The Psalms talk all about making a joyful noise unto the Lord. I've got that covered. :)

One last social item to mention--this morning I also attended my first yoga class. Can I say awesome?! It was wonderful and I ate up every minute of the hour-long meditation and stretching. Once again I have Mimi to thank for broadening my horizons. I can already tell I have better posture and am more calm/centered today. I totally recommend it. My favorite pose: the downward dog (not because of the position, but because of the name! Where do they come up with this stuff?) Too funny.

Hope this finds you busy as well... and happy too. God Bless.

No comments:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers