Friday, May 11, 2007

A Good One

The day is only two and a half hours old and is already a good one.

I can just feel it.

Maybe it was getting our recycling out to the curb the very second the truck drove up. Maybe it was the golden brown pancakes I made for breakfast this morning; my best yet. Maybe it was dropping GG off right on time for his exam and making every green light on the drive there.

Or perhaps today was good from the start because it was just meant to be. It was in the cards from the beginning. Things were just supposed to be good, as they have been for the last five years. Today is our fifth wedding anniversary.

While I don't have the patience to relay a long synopsis of our love story, I will give you it in bulleted form (very 21st century-esque!) My brain can handle lists of things so much better than prose...

*GG and I met our freshman year at Princeton at an Athletes in Action Bible study. GG prayed for "his friend's salvation" while we were all in the midst of midterms second semester and my interest was immediately piqued. What a sound and steady Christian! What a heart for God and for his friend! How handsome and well-spoken! My crush had begun...

*... and another unhealthy relationship I was in ended within a month. GG and I ran into one another at our student center and exchanged words about his summer at camp and the possibility of me being a counselor there (which never materialized.) We later realized how nervous we both were at the time to speak to one another. Pretty cute.

* Summer passed and we met up again the next fall on campus. My crush intensified and I did everything in my power to run into GG on campus, in the sports training room, etc. The stories are pretty pathetic, so I'll spare myself the embarrassment. Let's just say I was smitten with the most handsome, most Godly, and most honorable guy I had ever met.

*The fall dragged on and GG became more and more aware of my crush (due to my large mouth telling any soul about it who wished to hear!) Yet no response came from his end. I was beginning to get frustrated... Long story short--he finally asked me to our sophomore formal in late November of that year. Imagine my angst! GG took his time and the rest of the world (yes, the world) suffered.

*The formal was a ball of fun... We danced up a storm and enjoyed time with one another. Our second date was a surprise trip to NYC to see Rockefeller Center and the Christmas tree (what a follow-up!) I was being swept off my feet!

*We formally began dating by the end of January, had our "first kiss" Valentine's Day, and proceeded to date for the next 2 and 1/2 years (with a few bumps along the way, but mostly smooth sailing.) GG proposed on graduation day--June 5th, 2001 at the Princeton battlefield. I accepted and we set the date for May 11, 2002. After being apart for the year leading up to the wedding (I was teaching in NJ and GG was at his Officer Basic Course in KY), we joyfully committed to one another in the sacrament of matrimony that May! What a blissful day.

I awoke this morning feeling butterflies reminiscent of the ones I felt our wedding day five years ago. Who knew from there that an Iraq deployment, a dog, two babies, and law school later, we'd be where we are. I wouldn't trade these years for the world. GG, you are the love of my life. Thank you for a wonderful marriage. Thank you for your greatest gift to me--our boys. Your love isn't so bad either. Love you!

Hope you all have a fantastic May 11th!! It's a good one!

5 comments:

Jessica said...

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I loved reading your post. I woke up thinking about you guys this morning. What blessings you are to us and everyone who knows you. May your marriage continue to grow in love for one another and for the Lord. Love you guys!!!!!!
Love, Will and Jess

Anonymous said...

What a glorious day it was five years ago at the Princeton Chapel followed by an absolutely wonderful reception at The Nassau Inn. Has Big Mike paid off the bar tab yet? I still remember Father Tom's homily on love and forgiveness as if the words were spoken yesterday. I remember the funny and poignant toasts offered by Mike and Cris at the reception. I remeber how beautiful Bethany looked, as well as the mothers of the bride and groom. It was a day filled with joy, love, and the blessed grace of God. It was the beginnig of a beautiful relationship now shared by two beautiful children
Love to you all, Dad/Papa

Mama G said...

What a fantastice day your wedding was!!! From the glorious moment of the sacramental committment you made to one another before God five years ago, you have continually filled our lives with joy and gladness. Your love and respect for one another, as well as life itself, radiates and infects those around - we all are blessed. Your faith in God has enabled you to handle the grand moments as well as the speed bumps with grace and dignity - you teach us well. May the rest of your day be wonderful.
Happy Anniversary !!!!!
Much love,
Mama G

Kellie said...

I can personally attest to just how pathetic you got during the "crush" phase. I do remember one cross-country sprint football mixer that ended in tears because GG didn't show up, or maybe he left early? Didn't he know that the whole mixer was a stage for you both to meet. But seriously, you guys are great and I can't believe it has been 5 years. I wish you both many more. You are a great couple. I love you both so much.

Ryan and Amy said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

Hope you guys had a great day!

Keep up the good work on the blog,

Amy

Lilypie First Birthday tickers