Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Your Input, Por Favor

Along similar decorating notions as to my last post, I'm planning to sew simple curtains for the boys' room. They are in dire need of some thicker shades to blackout this beautiful summer sunlight! My thoughts are no matter what fabric I choose for the curtains, I will line them to ensure maximum shade potential!!

So here's where you come in... I've scoped out Jo-Ann.com and have chosen a few curtain fabric finalists for the room and I need your opinion as to which you like best! For your reference, here's a room shot from a previous post to show you the wall color.

It is a beautiful "raindrop blue", which complements a navy dresser and M's Pottery Barn Kids train quilt (which looks a lot like this but with a white background) and T's chambray blue crib sheet. I'll have to post some actual room shots tomorrow after the kids wake up!!


I would like the curtains to be a darker navy color to help anchor the lightness of the room. We've decided to make them window length--not to the floor, but also not as short as valences (which are so cute, yet too impractical with the sun as bright as it is!) The curtains will cover plantation shutters already in place.
Okay, so here are the fabric finalists:


#1 Galeton Denim


#2 Variegated Stripe Indigo


#3 Ticking Stripe Indigo





#4 Solid Indigo

Please vote away in the comments... Your advice would be so appreciated! Thank you and God bless.

(P.S. I'll tell you which one I like best tomorrow!)

11 comments:

The Fighter Family... said...

My vote is #4...to match the solidness of the blue dresser, but also coordinate with the character of the boys' bedding.

On another note...we must have a common water supply between VA & OH because I woke up this morning unable to make a sound...my voice was gradually fading over the weekend and is now officially gone! :-)

Smitha Caroline said...

Oops. I meant ticking stripe indigo (#3). I got mixed up on my first try. It's really cheerful, and I think it will go well with little boys. The solid ones seem too plain, and the other stripe one is not as cheerful. The stripes just seem really playful and fun, just like little boys!

Jessica said...

#2!!

Jess said...

I like the stripes, and like # 2 better, less busy, but still fun

Candi said...

To make it dark - go to Printer's Alley or Calico Corners and get some "room darkening" lining. It really works - I've used it. Great stuff!

Good luck!

Candi(Jessica Alley's mom)

Rachel said...

I vote for #2 as my first choice, and #4 as my second. Good luck!

p.s. I used JoAnn's blackout lining on Tanner's window treatments and thought it made a big difference!

sw said...

i'm a definitely fan of the stripes--i think the solids are little too drab. of the stripes, i like #2 the best b/c it's darker and will contrast nicely w/ the walls.

i'm so impressed w/ your sewing and decorating skills! all i've done since moving back to nyc is, well, move furniture around. you've inspired me to do some painting and spruce up the place!

Carolina Girl said...

I also like #2 the best!! Thanks for asking for our input. This was fun!

Anonymous said...

OH M

Like #2 the best, although am concerned about the stripes being too busy with the bedding. Not sure what the repeat is on that fabric. Otherwise, I'd go with #4 and add a possible stripe accent with some trim.

I'm also impressed with your industriousness!!!!

Heidi said...

#2 . . . remember stripes can be hard to match but if you are just doing panels no problems! Can't wait to see the finished look. When I made Colin's I used overall snaps/hooks at the top to add a little more boyish look . . . can email photos if you would like to see.

Krissy said...

I like #2 as well. I would be interested to see Heidi's pictures with the overall snaps/hooks... sound cute and I'm always looking for new ideas!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers