Monday, January 21, 2008

The kitchen hoarder

Normally in Gasperini-Ville, we pride ourselves on family meals, sitting down and enjoying one another's company as we feast together. GG and I feel this time is of utmost importance as we come together under one roof at the end of a long day and model good manners/great palates to our children.

Tonight, however, was a different kind of dinner as the boys and I were on our own because GG had class. As if nothing had changed, M and T dove right into their green peas, shoveling them in by the spoonful. I am so grateful my children like vegetables! And yet the irony of it all was that there I stood in the kitchen, hoarding pieces of a warm french bread loaf dipped in homemade pesto, thanking God that I didn't have to eat thawed frozen peas and what was to come--meatballs. What a hypocrite I was and yet I loved every minute of it! :)

I would take bites of bread and then saunter around the corner to check on their progress. There they sat, sweetly eating away their green vegetables (I guess mine including green basil, eh?) while their mom gorged herself on delicacy in the next room! lol. I was pathetic!

So why didn't I just bite the bullet and eat with them at the table?
Yet another mother irony coming here... because I didn't want to share.
I knew as soon as they saw my bread they would want some... but I wanted it.
Yikes! I'm as bad as my two-year-old!

I've actually been caught in a few too many of these kitchen-hoarding moments lately.
Just yesterday, M found me eating out of the pickle jar and insisted on having one (which he spit out after one bite)! Later that day, he also nabbed me with a spoon in the ice cream carton (I'm living the pregnant cliche, I admit!). BUSTED! Of course I had to give him at least one spoonful to keep him quiet! "Don't tell your brother," was all I could muster in my shame. Heaven forbid we'd have to share with one additional person in the household! lol. :)

Am I alone in my kitchen hoarding in this innocent world?
Or are there other mama and daddy hoarders lurking out there?
If you're one of them, join the club. I think we've earned it! :)

Enjoying my full belly of pesto and bread...
God bless.

5 comments:

Blair said...

This may make you feel better. Today we went and got lunch from a drive-thru across the street. MC's kid's meal came with a scoop of frozen custard, but I hid it in one of the bags! When we got home I put it in the freezer, ate lunch with them, then escaped to the computer room to devour my dessert :)

But I think my funniest instance of pregnancy-induced food issues was when hubby came home to find me sitting in a chair in the kitchen in front of the pantry, staring aimlessly at the food...trying to find something that looked good ;)

French bread with pesto sounds yummy!

Jessica said...

This is hilarious. Carlee Scott caught me eating a cookie in the kitchen today. I was trying to hide it from her but she caught me!

elissa said...

Oh that totally happens to me all the time. It's not as bad as locking yourself in the bathroom to eat a fudge brownie while the children sweetly knock (pound) on the door requesting (demanding) some of what you think you're hiding. TOTALLY BUSTED.

B-Mama said...

These are hysterical! Blair, I totally laughed out loud at the thought of you hiding the custard and eating it later! I would totally do that... :)

Shannon said...

you do whatever you have to to get the baby born healthy and happy!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers