Monday, November 5, 2007

Working for the Good

Last week a friend and I discussed how beautiful it is when a family is blessed with a child with special needs. The whole family always seems to be humbled by the miracle of the person; the siblings particularly sensitive to giving outside of themselves and loving despite appearances.

My father's family was aptly blessed by the life of my Aunt Pam or "Pammy". She was born with a severe case of spina bifida and the doctors thought best to let her life pass. You see, Pam was a twin, her brother Steven born perfect and whole. They were the last children in a family of five kids, my dad the oldest; and from the docs' medical perspectives, it would have been easier to avoid the myriad of problems that would result by keeping Pam alive. Praise God for the nurse who continued to feed her... and my dad's mother, my nana, who fought relentlessly for the life of her daughter! Watching their little sister fight for life, fight to walk, fight to use the bathroom, fight to drive a car, fight to live a normal life, and ultimately, fight a battle with cirrosis (due to medication) that took her life at age 39, my dad and his siblings were humbled, changed forever by Pam. They grew to be kind, patient, gentle adults. I believe it is no coincidence that my dad is one of the kindest, gentlest human beings I know. He knew God's grace through Pam... What a blessing.

And so yesterday in church, while sitting and meditating on the Mass, I couldn't help but look over and see a family with four children, the youngest in a wheelchair. And all I could think about was my little Jude. Why God? Why did you have to take him? I would have loved any child, even one with special needs. Why? I tried desperately to wipe away the questioning, along with the tears, knowing full well that God had already answered my thoughts. It was not meant to be. It just wasn't.

A friend reminded me today of the passage from Romans 8:28-- "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." She reminded me that though the situation may not be good, that God has promised to use it for the good. Yes.

And in the meantime I shed tears for Pam and Jude and another friend today who lost her baby at close to 20 weeks.
God's working for the good,
God's working for the good...

There's another piece of my heart today. Thanks, as always, for listening.
Hugs and God Bless.

No comments:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers