Thursday, November 8, 2007

Parenting

I was venting (more like whining :) to GG last night about the frustrations of motherhood, particularly the itsy bitsy annoyances of my past day with the kids. My biggest point in the whole discussion was my exasperation about the lack of feedback there is for mothers. My whole life I've grown up with some sort of measure of how I'm doing--report cards in school, work evaluations in the classroom, etc. I like doing things well (who doesn't?) and want to know if I'm getting there.

"What am I doing right?" and "What could I be doing differently to improve?"--just two questions I would BEG of my children (or someone) to answer! I need the Supernanny to come to my home and analyze my mothering!! :) lol. Really, though, how great it would be to have some sort of feedback!

And then it hit me, amidst the questions and wondering, confusion and frustration, my cherubs DO offer feedback. They let me know what's good and effective, what's loving and nurturing...

They smile. They hug. They giggle.
And that's about the best feedback a mother could ask for. :)

Thank you, Lord, for the precious ways my children say "good job, Mom" in our day-to-day.
God bless you on this Thursday.

8 comments:

va mama said...

B..you've so beautifully answered your own question. Judging from those lovely, happy, beautiful littles cherubs God had entrusted to you, you're parenting brilliantly in God's grace.

Jessica Anderson said...

true 'dat, VA Mama. :) B, I think you are expressing an important, deep feeling that is probably so, so common. and as va mama demonstrated, it is really important for us as your friends and family to encourage you as you navigate the vocation of motherhood since you don't get "official" feedback in the form or reports, promotions or bonuses :). you are tremendous and the fact that you are even asking such questions should reassure you that you are an incredibly thoughtful, caring & loving mother.

B-Mama said...

Thanks guys! While I never expected it, YOUR encouragement is wonderful as well. Maybe we all need to take the time to hug a mama today! :)

CG said...

After seeing the previous day's photo, I am confident that I can offer some constructive criticism - especially in regards to bathing your children.

Just give me a call. We can chat.

oh m said...

God has blessed you with those little guys because He knows how loving, caring and nurturing you are! Sending you hugs and kudos...

B-Mama said...

Thank you all! And lol, cg, I totally deserve criticism on that one! :)

Lillian said...

Wonderful post! Its so true, our vocation is such a humble one in that there is no recognition for a job well done. But one day your "children rise up and praise her; her husband, too, extols her."
-Proverbs 31.

Rachel said...

B,

I just wanted you to know that if I can be HALF as good a mother as you, I'll be overjoyed! You were SUCH an inspiration to me when I was still a mother-to-be, and even more now that my boy is here! I just want you to know I think you are the greatest, and I'm sure all 3 of your boys agree!

Hugs and love ...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers