Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Tuesday in the Life

This afternoon was a total whirlwind and I knew it would be.  "Terrible Tuesdays" or "Torrential Tuesdays" is what I should call them.  They are doozies around here, but only for the month of October and then everything will chill.  I can't wait! We just have to press on and know that we're "having so much fun" in the process.  ;)  At least the kids are (not sure about mama!)

On paper, Tuesdays were playing out beautifully: after-school programs from 2:30 to 3:30; homework, piano and play from 3:30 to 5:15; T to soccer at 5:30 and M to taekwondo at 5:45; everyone home and eating by 6:45 (or earlier) and to bed by 8.  Not too shabby.  What I didn't figure into the plan was--a) travel time, b) excessive homework, c) excessive piano practice, or d) unmotivated children.  (The last one really hits a nerve with me, though I have to remember they've just been through a day of school!)

Today, to further complicate things, M forgot his homework folder at school (he's used up 2 of 3 "graces" so far), which cost us 15 minutes in order to run over and back to fetch it.  Also, MG awoke from her nap with a fever and needed cuddling.  J almost made it to the toilet and so was wearing no pants for half the afternoon.  And T was really tired from his after-school flag football class.  Oy!

I'll just say we survived, but it wasn't pretty.  Soccer was canceled (thanks be to God).  But that meant I had to get both boys to taekwondo with the whole sick/unclothed/un-shoed bunch in tow.  I lost my patience a couple of times before we finally found the site of the new class (where I learned that I can now drop them off pick them up curbside.  Thank you, Lord!!!!)

Thankfully, the story ends well. Daddy came to our rescue by picking up the boys after practice.  When he returned, I hugged the older boys and shed a few tears, telling them how sorry I was for letting the stress get to me earlier.  M, my sensitive one, immediately teared up and ran to get me a tissue, a blanket, some flowers from our blooming azaleas, and a cooking magazine. lol ;)  He was the sweetest.  He totally made my night.

We ate dinner and then M and I conquered the rest of his homework while jamming to our favorite Christian music.  Later, he, T, and I laughed to tears while reading a Dr. Seuss book about "knees in trees", "crocodile pants", and "owls on noses".  It was ridiculous and hilarious, the perfect way to end our crazy Tuesday.  These guys mean the world to me...  I will travel to the crazies and back for them.  It might not always be perfect, but it will be full of love, for sure!

Today starts another of my 30-day blogging monsoons.  Get ready!
You'll be seeing a lot of me.  ;)

God bless,

3 comments:

Morrisons said...

A cooking magazine?! Love it!

B-Mama said...

I should also add that he brought me the remote so I could watch Food Network. I guess he knows I love to cook! ;)

FL M said...

Although a lot to handle, those guys are the most "presh" and always come through!! It's the getting there that tries on you. So sorry! Prayers for a better Wednesday!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers