Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Stepping Out

As the semesters would draw to a close and students would hustle to cram for pending exams, Princeton would grow quiet, almost drawing its own breath before such an output of mental calories and intellectual gymnastics. I would be swept along in this pre-exam lull, finding the *perfect* study spot in Firestone Library and hunkering down for 15+ hours to prepare for an individual exam. Whether or not I was really ready when the time came, I hastened to McCosh 10 or 50 (large lecture halls) and paid homage to the exam gods. Fun? No. An adventure? Every time. 3+ hours of grueling labor... all for the beloved grade. I can remember one final of mine having a student average of 45. And that wasn't 45/50, but 45%. Ouch.

But no question, when the time came to take the test, one would always find me seated, dressed in my best duds and awaiting the challenge. I would usually wear nothing short of church attire, convincing myself that even if I wasn't mentally ready, I would surely look good! Of course! There was definitely something psychological to it all. If you feel at your best, you'll perform at your best, right?!

I find this idea pervasive in my little world today. Take, for example, this morning.

The boys and I awoke after a hasty return from a quick trip to my parents'. We battled rain, snow, and sleet on the drive and made it back just in time to see GG and plop into bed. We were greeted this morning by a pot-strewn kitchen sink, empty cupboards (does the grocery store exist in Gasperini-Ville? Apparently not), dirty laundry from our trip, bags and assundry items strewn everywhere... I could really go on. Yuck.

I felt awful--my back hurt, belly ached, and eyes squinted from lack of sleep. We were in NO shape for a successful Tuesday morning and I made GG keenly aware of this with my negative attitude and quick barks... (Lord, have mercy on me during this blessed Holy Week!) We were definitely headed for disaster.

Until...
I decided to take a shower.
Then dress in something other than sweats.
Then brush my teeth.
Then dry my hair... with a round brush (this takes effort and rarely happens.)
Then dab on a little make-up.

Oh, mama, I looked a million times better. And I felt like I could take on the world.
Grocery store? No problem. Dishwasher needs emptying? No problem.
Life needs tackling? No hay problema.

If you feel at your best, you'll perform at your best.
Nothing short of a miracle here in Gasperini-Ville today... Just thought I'd share.

God bless you today--take some time to look good, especially you, hot mamas, out there!!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

B-Mama,

I loved your post! I was just thinking today -- do I really want to leave the house in these sweats, with no makeup and hair that needs syled (not to mention washed!) I'm ashamed to say I have yet to shower and it is 5:00. Oh where has my day gone! Maybe if I can get myself together I can actually get my HOUSE (or hous-es plural) together. Feeling a bit overwhelmed this week. Thanks for your advice and inspiration.

Love and Hugs!

sw said...

thanks for the post b--i really needed the inspiration! i'm basically in stressed-out exam mode until may 9th and have been living in my workout gear for the last month (i love my black nike dri-fit pants way too much--i own 3 pairs).

it's definitely time for me to break out the real clothes, the round brush, and the makeup. thanks for the reminder!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers