Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Keep Knocking

A friend's wisdom today inspired me to write this posting...

Lately both of our children have been like broken records in asking for things. Her daughter, very articulate, will say, "Mommy, I want some juice. Mommy, I want some juice. Mommy..." on and on. M has also been into repeating things like "juice, juice, juice..." to use a similar example. Most of the time this practice drives me crazy, but I must admit, is often quite successful in getting my attention and getting him what he wants.

So why not try it with our Lord?

Doesn't he tell us "Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you."? (Matt. 7:7)

Does he not say "pray continually"? (1 Thess. 5:17)

What struck me most of all about this was my need to be repeatedly placing my desires at His feet, soliciting His help and guidance. How oft does my mind drift to thoughts like, "Oh, He knows my heart. I'll just bug Him if I pray for this one more time." Yet if I truly want to make my requests known to God, I better let him know them... and often!

In Matthew 18, Christ tells the people, "Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven." Alas, today I am embracing my broken-record toddler's approach and kneeling at the throne of our Lord to petition (repeatedly) for my greatest wishes.

Can you guess what they might be?

Thank you, dear Catherine, for this wonderful meditation.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Reminds me of the Little Flower's words:

"How wonderful is the power of prayer! It is like unto a queen,who, having free access to the king, obtains whatsoever she asks. In order to secure a hearing there is no need to recite set prayers composed for the occasion--were it so, I ought indeed to be pitied!

...I have not the courage to look through books for beautiful prayers. I only get a headache because of their number, and besides, one is more lovely than another. Unable therefore to say them all, and lost in choice, I do as children who have not learnt to read--I simply tell Our Lord all that I want, and He always understands."

Story of a Soul, by St. Therese of Lisieux, Doctor of the Church

Lilypie First Birthday tickers