Monday, July 2, 2007

Our Baby's Orange!

In case you've been worried after seeing some of our pics... T-baby has "carotenemia" from eating excess amounts of beta-carotene. He's a REALLY good eater, consuming everything, including his veggies! He's also still nursing, which provides more beta-c because this mama's eating her veggies too!! Don't worry, he won't stay orange forever... but while he's tinted, we'll love him that way!

Baby orange skin (medical condition): Carotenemia is an excess of beta-carotene in the blood. It is a common and mostly harmless condition in infants usually appearing when infants begin to eat solids. When they eat too many foods containing beta-carotene (e.g. pumpkin, carrot, most yellow or orange vegetables), the baby receives too much beta-carotene and some is deposited in the skin. This gives the skin a yellow or orange coloring. www.wrongdiagnosis.com

2 comments:

Adrianne said...

Bethany, I just told my mom about the beta-c situation, and she just informed me that I had orange feet when I was a baby!! I mean, look how wonderful I turned out, so you know that orange colored skin must be a good sign for baby-T ;o)

Ad

B-Mama said...

Thanks Ad... Good to hear that T is among a long history of good, orange folks! haha :) Can't wait to see you at Jen's wedding in August. If the kids are well-behaved, I might sneak them into the ceremony, which means you'll get to see the orange one in person. Hugs, B :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers