Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Humbled Beyond Measure

Hi everyone. This is GG posting tonight. The Gasperini-Ville blogmaster has permitted me to take control of the keyboard for tonight’s message.

As so many of you know, last November I received orders from the Army mobilizing me to active duty from inactive reserve status. This mobilization was for the purpose of sending me back to Iraq for a second combat tour. The orders were quite a surprise and immediately became a source of anxiety for our family.

Shortly after receiving the orders, I submitted paperwork to the Army requesting an exemption or delay of the mobilization based on my desire to avoid disrupting my law school education and to avoid the dangers that would arise during combat from a preexisting medical issue with my shoulder.

For the past eight months we have been living month by month as the review process progressed. Twice my appeal had been denied, the most recent being two weeks ago. Our family became resigned to the apparent likelihood of my return to Iraq, and we had begun to make preparations. The prospect of hitting the pause button on our civilian life for almost two years was not one we looked forward to—but we were ready to perform whatever duty was required of us.

Today, however, we experienced an unexpected reversal of fortune. Today I was informed that the final Army appellate authority has decided to grant me an exemption from the deployment orders and discharge me from reserve status. In other words, I will not be returning to Iraq, nor will I be mobilized in the future. This news has been received, as you might imagine, with great relief in Gasperini-Ville.

We have experienced an incredible range of emotions today, as has been the case since this situation began last November. As we reflect on everything, we are most struck with a profound sense of God’s grace. Though we worked hard to put forth a convincing appeal, I am no more deserving of an exemption than any other veteran who has suddenly found his or her life interrupted by an involuntary return to a far-away combat zone. We have been so blessed by this news, and by the future it allows our family to pursue—but there is nothing I or B have done that entitles us to that promising future. The life we lead, the children we raise, the faith we share—none of it is of our own making. All of this is simply God’s unmerited favor. It is grace, and we are deeply, deeply grateful.

That gratitude is matched by our immeasurable thankfulness for the overwhelming outpouring of prayer and support over the past eight months. It is breathtaking to realize how many prayers have been offered on our behalf by our extended faith family. Unknown numbers of Christian brothers and sisters, many we will never know, have been prayer warriors for our family throughout this period. Countless intercessions by and to family, friends, the communion of saints, and the Blessed Mother have been offered for the Gasperinis. What a testament it is to sit here tonight and experience the fruits of that faithful solidarity. We are humbled, and we are grateful. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

As we go forward, we in Gasperini-Ville are mindful of the great responsibility we have to use this blessing to glorify God. To borrow from a popular saying, ‘With great blessings comes great responsibility.’ Whatever that responsibility, we will only be able to achieve it with the continued intervention of the Holy Spirit, and it will be our continued prayer to faithfully and openly receive the Spirit into our lives. Additionally, we in Gasperini-Ville remain acutely aware of the hardships being faced by thousands of military families across this country. We honor their sacrifice and their fortitude. We will continue to offer them up in prayer, and seek ways to support the troops and their families until this challenge is done.

Thank you all, and God Bless.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! That's amazing news!

Don't know you personally but just wanted to let you know that I just happened to find this blog and have greatly enjoyed all of the entries and pictures. You have such beautiful children!

It's refreshing to see a family with so much faith.

Ryan and Amy said...

Praise God! Praise God!

We are so happy for you guys and can't wait to see you when you get back in town.

- Amy

Jessica said...

Praise God!! We could hardly sleep last night after hearing of your news. Wonderful!

Kellie said...

We are overjoyed for you both. I couldn't sleep last night because I was so happy and excited for your family. Now just relax and enjoy the last year of law school :-)

Jess said...

That is such wonderful news. I rejoice with you and thank God for the wonder he has provided. Enjoy the rest of your summer.
Jess R.

Alicia said...

Wow! B, this is such great news I am crying! Praise God...we are sharing your joy!

Rachel said...

Your family has been on my heart so much these past few days. I literally thought about and prayed for you during my entire drive home to Michigan last weekend! We are SOOOOO happy for you!! Sending LOTS of love and hugs!!!

PS -- it's not fair for one family to have so many fantastic writers!! You guys are so dang SMART!!

Evan Miller said...

Geoff and Bethany (a.k.a. B-Mama), Since Geoff failed to send us at Mama McGuire his school email, I discovered your blog. :) (Blame Woody). Anyway, I am so elated to hear of your good news and how God has answered your (and our) prayers. You both showed amazing strength throughout this entire experience and I am proud to call you both my friends. All my best to the citizens of Gasperini-Ville and y'all come back to Virginia real soon, ya hear? Espero que disfruita su viaje en Mexico.

-Evan (a.k.a. The Talkative One)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers