Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Heart in my throat

I just had the scariest experience being locked out of the house by my own son! I was in the garage taking out the trash and M locked the deadbolt!

No keys, no cell phone, no nothing...

At first I didn't know what to do. I freaked out a little while attempting to pursuade him to unlock the door. I really tried not to panic (but failed miserably) and then went around back to check to see if any doors were open. They weren't. [I'm a freak for locked doors! :)] I did get to see M through a sliding door, though, and assure him I was okay. After, I went back into the garage and patiently coached him to unlock the deadbolt... He did it! Hallelujah!

My lesson for the day is attitude in motherhood is EVERYTHING! My approach to all the day-to-day details directly influences how family responds to those details. When I started to openly worry about being locked out, M became scared and sad, unresponsive to my coaching. He just needed to see that mom was okay and then was open to my joyful instructions. Lesson learned.

Hallelujah, I'm back in the house.
God bless!

**T-baby said "bye bye" today for the first time while waving! [I think he also said "baby" at breakfast while we were talking about a baby. Maybe? Who knows? All I know is he's growing up!!]

2 comments:

elissa said...

Been there, done that. Trust me, it's not so scary after being locked out 3 or 4 times. :) Oh and I love your new banner! If you make your image narrower you won't look so "wide" KWIM?

B-Mama said...

Glad to know I'm not alone! Thanks for the compliments and tips on the blog layout... I'm tweaking things when I get a chance and trying to learn HTML code so I have more freedom! Interesting... How do I narrow my image without losing some of the photo? Hope you're well, B

Lilypie First Birthday tickers