Sunday, March 14, 2010

Prodigal Sunday

Many blessings to you on this Lord's Day, dear friends and family!

The rain has continued here in Virginia, though with it we have enjoyed the coziness of home and hearth. Today I write amidst this warmth to the sound of meditative chant. GG has been inspired to have more of that playing around here since attending a silent Lenten retreat last weekend. He had an enriching time of prayer, meditation, reconciliation, and overall closeness with God while away, so we are thankful he's brought a little piece of that inspiration home to us.

Today's Gospel reading of the story of the Prodigal Son was a good one for us to ponder. As parents, GG and I are enamored with the father in the story and his willingness to let his son go (no doubt continuing to love and pray for him) and then to welcome him home and rejoice in his return to an upstanding life. There was no judgment, only love; as there is with God when we return to Him from our sinful ways. I love this story on many levels and am reminded of the tale when I listen to an oldie worship song, "When God Ran" by Benny Hester. I'm going to link to it through the blog so you all can enjoy hearing it too... Not surprising, it moves me to tears each time I listen to it. That God would run to little old me and rejoice in my return is an overwhelmingly moving thought. I hope you enjoy it on this Prodigal Sunday.

Quite special was sitting at Mass with our M today and watching him listen intently to the story. We had studied it earlier in the week during one of our Jesus Tree lessons and he recognized it... This year I've added The New Catholic Picture Bible to our studies; it is neat to see how captivated M is by the older picture renditions. Suffice to say, the Jesus Tree has taken on greater meaning for him this go 'round and even made Mass more meaningful. That warms a mama's heart.
Mama at 26 weeks

And speaking of my heart, I will say the somewhat gloomy prego disposition of last week has lifted and I write with ease and comfort at 26 weeks. I think MG grew a bunch last week, which left me in a limbo state, attempting to catch up with my body. I feel much more like myself this week and that is so good. Selfish discomfort has passed away and in its place is a sincere gratitude I have for her life, a precious, healthy life which God has given us. We are so blessed. I am so blessed by this baby. She is already so good to her mama. I cannot wait to have her in my arms and introduce her to our family. June cannot come sooner ;).

Hope this finds you well.
Grace and peace to you,

6 comments:

Teacher-Mom said...

Love the preggo pics! You look awesome! Can't wait to see what MG looks like on the outside. I have a feeling she is going to be one very spoiled little girl.

Carolina Girl said...

Isn't God's love AMAZING??? I'm often stilled by it when I stop to think of how prodigal-like I am at times and yet, I know He still loves me!

Erin said...

B- you look great! I was just reminiscing the other day how I love being 6 months pregnant-- filled with the joy and awe of life inside you (that you can actually feel now!), not sick anymore, not totally uncomfortable yet... just living in the joy of your baby. Ah, I miss that. You are doing great!

The Hamiltons said...

Adorable :) Won't be too long now. And I see you are getting used to the concept of pink!

Carolina Girl said...

Also, I love the prayer you posted on BC. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Bethany- I miss our workouts while you were still pregnant with little J- how time flies by. Tom and I will be in the DC area the weekend of June 6th- If you are still anxiously awaiting MG, maybe Tom and I can trek down towards Richmond with P. Miss you guys and glad you are feeling well- you look beautiful, as always. Love, Carol

Lilypie First Birthday tickers