Monday, September 3, 2007

Cravings

I am so excited for tonight.

Going out to dinner? Nope.
LOST is premiering? Nope.
My children will be in bed by 5:30? Nope. (I'm horrible. :)

We are having cheesy potato soup!!!! I have been craving it so... Last night I whipped up a batch early so it's ready to go tonight. SO EXCITED! Of course I had to sample a little (a lot) bit before going to bed just to make sure it was "good enough". YUM.

Here's the recipe in case you have cheesy potato cravings of your own. It's a snap and has wonderful, subtle cheesy goodness... Just don't inquire about the fat content (it's way too overwhelming, though you could healthy it up with some lower fat cheese varieties. I also make mine with skim milk to help the cause.) Enjoy and God bless your tummies!

Cheddar Cheese Soup
1 C. potatoes, diced.
1/2 C. celery, chopped.
1/2 C. carrots, chopped.
1/2 C. onion, chopped.
1/2 C. gr. pepper, chopped.
4 T. butter
1 (10.75 oz.) can chicken broth plus water to equal 3 cups
Dash white pepper (I use black.)
2 C. milk
1/2 C. flour
3 C. Cheddar cheese, grated.
1 T. parsley (I omit.)

Saute veggies in butter. Add broth, water, and pepper. Cover and simmer 30min. Blend milk and flour. Stir into broth. Add cheese, then cook and stir over low heat until thick. Add parsley. Serves 4.

4 comments:

Jess said...

That sounds terrific! How long does it usually take to cook to thicken? Just an idea so I know how long to wait. =)

B-Mama said...

The thickening shouldn't take too long, maybe 10-15min. tops. I accidentally added too much water this time and had to cook it a little longer to thicken! Good luck and enjoy

Ryan and Amy said...

Yummmmm!!! Sounds so yummy. We are gonna have to try that sometime soon.

B-Mama said...

Don't try it too soon because I'm probably going to make it for one of your postpartum meals! :) I'm glad you thought it sounded good... :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers