Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thoughts for Thursday

Hello dear ones! How are ya??? With t-ball starting up and soccer now in full swing, this week has completely gotten away from me. While I have a moment, here's a glimpse into life in G-Ville...

What am I cooking?
This gal's awesome Enchilada Mess. It is a very delicious, make-ahead-of-time casserole'ish dish that we all love. The corn tortillas totally make it. Amy and her family are very dear to us from our Notre Dame Law days. At the end of our three years, she and her husband put together a recipe book with photos and recipes we all contributed. I love to cook from it and and think of my dear, fellow ND law wives. It is really heartwarming.

What are my weekend plans?
We are so excited to be welcoming Red and her family for the weekend. They are coming from afar just to see us, which is amazing and so special. On the docket for our time together is my 10k Saturday morning (Go B-mama!!), some local hot spot visits later morning, the boys' soccer games in the afternoon, and lots of good down time in-between. Thanks for coming Red family, we can't wait to see you!!

What are my prayer intentions for the day?
For this little girl, who has just endured double spinal fusion surgery, and for her family. God speed, dear Harlie!! You are one incredible little lady!! We are honored to live down the street from these friends and are looking forward to welcoming them back healthy and on the mend in a couple of weeks.

What can my children do instead of watching TV?
Play on the computer? Lego.com? Just kidding. I know it's basically the same thing. What about heading to t-ball practice to watch our oldest brother start this new sport? Add in hill rolling and grass-picking and we've got a new form of entertainment!

What have I done for my marriage this week?
I have given lots of hugs. I have attempted to listen before speaking. I have been open and honest. The result? Overall goodness.

What am I reading?
The Help by Kathryn Stockett. So far, so good. I'm liking it's southern spin.

What's challenging me lately?
To be honest, M's piano practice. He is doing so well and his teacher is loving his progress. The weekly "to-do" list, though, is rather daunting. For a fledgling player, this translates into *a lot* of time commitment necessary from teacher mama. And let me tell you, we are devoting a good part of our afternoons to this endeavor! Thankfully, the youngest two are usually napping at the time, but that leaves T in the lurch. I think I need to speak up to the teacher and let him know we are a little swamped. Less is more. I want to be sure M continues to enjoy playing... Thankfully, he is really good so far about heading to practice when I ask. This is SO much better than I ever was!

Something that made me think?
The current situation in Libya is a bit overwhelming. I have been reading various reports and articles and spending some time talking with GG about the whole affair. It is amazing to me that a man like Qaddafi has remained in power since the 1960's. That's one impressive (and sinister) regime. It is difficult to know whether or not international involvement in the affairs is the right move. We recently welcomed back my BIL from Afghanistan and I can't help but question whether or not our military can handle more international involvement. Whether our motivations in Libya are sincere (ousting an evil tyrant) or selfish (for oil access), we are now involved and there's no getting out of it.

4 comments:

FL M said...

Your lives are going in sooo many directions, I read this breathless and in awe. Praying for your fun weekend ahead with the Red family and all the games, including your 10K. Love you all!!!

orahoods said...

What a busy day/week! So much fun and nice to have a busy schedule (in some ways)! I loved The Help...hopefully you enjoy it. It was a nice change of pace from some of the other books I have read!

eva said...

Everything you wrote made ME think. I think I'm bailing on the 10K... haven't gotten the training I wanted. Will be cheering for you! Have The Help, but haven't started it... encouraging to hear you like it. Amazed by all you juggle, and yet you still have time to pray for others. I would love to welcome Harlie and her family home with a meal if such is needed. Please let me know. Much love to you and yours!

Teacher-Mom said...

I read The Help and absolutely loved it. I had to get into the southern dialect, but it was really an eye opening book for me. Hope you enjoy it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers