Sunday, March 6, 2011

Struggling Tonight

I'm struggling tonight...

We found out today of the death of a friend of ours from Princeton. Lewis was a great person, a loving friend, an all-around happy, smiley, likable guy who could warm any heart. It had been awhile since we talked, yet part of me feels like the world is a little dimmer without his gentle soul out there, making its own delicate impact. He was the definition of a "good guy" in my book.

Death is a hard truth that awakens in me many fears of things I cannot control. I begin to go down the list of people I would be devastated to lose and then think about how their lives might continue if I were gone. It can be fine if I stop there, but I usually don't and my thoughts travel to other worries which turn into anxieties and what-if's. That's when I have to ask the Big Guy to just take it all away. Such is the case tonight.

The most awful twist in this whole scenario is that Lewis was struck by a car while walking outside a restaurant in Vail, CO. The guilty party: a 29yo guy, who's being charged with a DUI. It is so unfair. I feel anger, resentment. Yet I pity the man who has to live his life knowing he took the life of another due to his carelessness.

Lord, have mercy on my friend, Lewis.
Bring comfort to his family.
Offer peace to my soul.

Hug the ones you love tonight,

8 comments:

Right Said Red said...

Praying for peace for you, for Lewis, for his family, and for my own peace tonight. Lewis was a great guy, and it is very sad that his life was cut short. The mysteries of life and death are really difficult at times. I find that events like this really unearth my repressed feelings of anxiety and fear. I need to ask for extra grace, and an end to the thoughts that lead to nothing but worry and fear.

FL M and D said...

To you, Lewis' family and other friends, prayers for your comfort and peace.

Elso said...

Prayers for peace for Lewis's family and for you.

Zeyna said...

It's shocking, really, how swiftly life can pass away. I'm sorry to hear about him, though I don't think I knew him. Doesn't matter, bc the bell tolls for all of us...

Carolina Girl said...

Oh Bethany!
My heart is heavy for his family and friends. It is those types of phone calls that really shake you to the core. When I'm feeling like I need to give it all away, I get out the words to the old hymn, 'I Surrender All' and sing it out loud. Prayers for you all.

Adrianne said...

Bay, so well put...Lewis was the epitome of a good & kind hearted person. It really hit me hard on Sunday, when I found out. I know it's that kind heart that Lewis had that will always be smiling down on us from Heaven.

orahoods said...

I read the link you posted on fbook...what an amazing guy. Seems as though he truly lived life to the fullest. Prayers for those mourning him.

Christy said...

Oh, I am so sorry. And I'm sorry I'm just now reading this! Hugs next time I see you!

xoxo
Christy

Lilypie First Birthday tickers