Friday, February 4, 2011

What's a'Happenin' Hot Stuff?

Name the movie. Anyone? Anyone?

lol. One of my all-time faves. It is so quotable and makes me laugh every time I think of it! :)

So, happy Friday to all. Here's a quick update on our current status, starting with the wee'est of the G's...
1. Our little girl got her first tooth! The lower right front tooth made its appearance on Saturday, which explains a bit of unusual mom/dad preference and fussiness the night before. If only we had known! :) Unfortunately, we're now also dealing with the vicious diaper rash that seems to always accompany my kids' teeth arrival. Her poor bottom is so sore--no amount of Boudreaux's (Butt Paste) is helping! Last night I let her "air out" on the carpet while the boys started dinner. That turned out great (heavy sarcasm)--she pooped and peed on the carpet and then dragged one of the boy's books through it. Gross! As GG put it this week--our little flower has turned into a bit of a stink weed! :) Cute stink weed, no doubt! We love you to smithereens, dearest pink one.

2. J is in a big boy bed!!!! He made the transition at Mimi and Papa's house this past weekend and then continued the fun at home. We've only caught him out of bed a few times and he always goes back to bed very willingly. He actually seems to sleep better than in the crib. Probably because he's not confined to such a small space! G-ville morning noise has also since decreased by decibels as J no longer needs to call from his crib for someone to come get him! :)

3. M had his first piano lesson! The teacher comes highly recommended and actually shows at our home every Thursday for a half hour. I was greatly amused being a fly on the wall in the other room while M introduced himself and got to know his teacher. He talked enthusiastically about some of his interests, including Lightning McQueen, Mater, and the song "Real Gone" from the soundtrack. According to the teacher, M really began to thrive when later put to some more challenging piano work. He apparently needed "something to sink his teeth into". I got the picture that the teacher wasn't sure M was ready to start lessons during the first part, but turned things around as the lesson continued. I guess we have no where to go but up!! :) Practice starts after school today. The mama is not so sure I'm ready to venture to the role of taskmaster, but might as well start while we're ahead! (Read: Mom, I'm sorry for the many, many times I put up a fuss before practicing the piano. And for the many times I just didn't practice and paid for it at my lesson. Let's pray its not hereditary. :)

4. We had a great mid-year conference with M's kindergarten teacher, who loves him and thinks he's right on track with reading and writing. What joy to be able to sit and talk, laugh, and share stories with an outside person, who also loves your child! This was an awesome Mom moment for me. M tested well in reading in the fall, but still made some improvements to his reading this testing go 'round. The sky's the limit for our big little man. We are ultimately so thrilled he loves school so much!!

5. Tomorrow is M's 6th birthday and Sunday is my grandfather, Mickey's, 90th! We are heading to PA to celebrate with my parents and grandparents. No snow is going to keep our crew from such a wonderful bit of life celebration. We'll make it, without question!!!

Hope you have a great one!
Enjoy a blessed weekend,

5 comments:

The Ballee Girls said...

very awesome mommie moment re M...congrats, that's a great feeling.

Donna said...

First- that is clearly a quote from Long Duk Dong in Sixteen Candles!!! Ha! Second- I'm still in love with baby MG! Third- Way to go for J in the big boy bed- so glad he's staying in it. And Fourth- amazing you found a teacher to come to your house! That would make all the difference to me- sitting in the car for 30 minutes with three others is not appealing. Fifth- glad M loves school so much- that is such a big blessing!

B-Mama said...

Ding, ding, ding Donna! Thanks for saving me from laughing all by myself! :) lol Occasionally I'll say something is "long" to the boys and then include "Duk Dong" and get a good laugh out of it! They look at me with such quizzical stares! Someday (long from now) I'll share with them the hilarity of Sixteen Candles. Until then I will remain their crazy mother.

Maybe another pink baby in your future?? So exciting!

Teacher-Mom said...

Happy Birthday to Big Boy M! I can't believe that you are 6 (which means my baby will be in a month!) I know I say it every year, but I remember so clearly the day you were born and seeing you in the hospital. What a treat it has been to see you grow up into such a fine little man. And to think you are halfway through kindergarten and starting the piano lessons. Oh, the wonderful things you'll be doing over the next couple of years. We hope you have a great birthday! Also, way to go MG on your tooth and J on the big boy bed. Such exciting events in the G household. Take care!

Carolina Girl said...

Lots of happenins' in G-ville! Way to go M on a good K report. And MG's tooth...she's looking a lot like you btw, B-mama. Sweet Baby J is a big boy now! You know, G still thinks he has to stay in bed until we come get him...nice!

Hope you had a great trip!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers