Saturday, February 18, 2012

Signs of Change

In the midst of our whirlwind weekend last week, we also made a BIG change for G-Ville, moving J and MG into a room together! This was much anticipated and had been in the works for a few weeks. You may remember my DIY Curtain post, which was an attempt to outfit the room with inexpensive drapes for the two little ones.

We made the move anticipating baby G's arrival in May (occupying the nursery) and realizing J needed some time to be a true 3yo, rather than always on the heels of his older brothers. Bedtimes were always too late (he would willingly crawl into bed in the midst) and stories were too advanced (we'd have a hard time getting him interested). It was time to make the change... MG moved out of the nursery and J moved out of the 3-boy room down the hall to our former playroom.
We bought the furniture back in December used from a friend of mine! What a great deal--crib and two dressers of quality hardwood furniture for $300. I was ecstatic!


One caveat to completing the room was the purchase of J's Star Wars Sheets from PBK--a promised perk to him assuming a joint room with his sister. These were so nice, we decided to make the PBK investment. Thanks to a 20% off sale last week and a 10% off coupon, we got them for more of a bargain--woo hoo!! T, J, MG, and I scurried to the mall after preschool one day and J very proudly walked away carrying his bag of treasured sheets. We knew we had him!

Does this look like a happy boy or what?!

Saturday night was our first night and J and MG were in bed by 7:15pm--woot! This was over an hour earlier than usual for our little man, and boy did he take to it!! I sat in the room for 15 minutes to ensure MG didn't cry, but left when I knew J was asleep. She was quiet from then on... They both awoke the next day by 6:30am, a typical morning. Success!

Night two we did the bedtime routine, jammies, teeth, books, prayers, and bed with both J and MG very engaged in the whole process. Perfect!! They both enjoy sitting on one of mama's knees at story time and I can tell J is enjoying the more age-appropriate books. I can't tell you how wonderful it makes me feel knowing he's enjoying more regular story time again. It had been plaguing our consciences... I left the room immediately after prayers and heard a few words passed between the two, but no tears or complaints. Both were quiet and asleep by 7:30pm. Excellent!!

Our only hiccup was Monday and Tuesday mornings, the two were up at 5:30am and raring to go. lol. I think it was early excitement at waking in the same room... We are hoping things continue to settle and we get more 6:30am's in our future. The last few days have thankfully been much more normal!

Thanks be to God, this change has been a good one.
Have a blessed weekend!

5 comments:

FL M said...

Love the changes and how J is ecstatic! Good job G-Ville!

Carol said...

The curtains really are the perfect gender neutral color scheme, and I am a big fan of sharing rooms-I shared with my sister up until 8th grade and I think it was good for me. Sounds like the kids are almost making the transition too easy for you guys. Now what? More projects looming?

Teacher-Mom said...

I'm glad to read that things are going relatively smoothly with the transition of rooms. Love the Star Wars sheets- I can see why they were so convincing for J. On the Bradley front, we have now changed from a Ninjago birthday to a camo one. We were in the birthday aisle at Hobby Lobby and Joey was about to burst he was so excited about the camo birthday supplies. Oh well, maybe something other than camo and GI Joe next year!

B-Mama said...

T-M, you could still have Dan lead some rough, tough training exercises as an element of the party! Have the kids don bandanas and go through "obstacle courses". No worries! :)

Donna said...

Precious room- love the more feminine and masculine sides that still go together. I know exactly what you mean about reading to #3- I have had my conscience plagued by the same thoughts- I want everyone to get the age appropriate books, but it's tricky indeed.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers