Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Sweet Lenten Beginnings

The three younger ones and I just returned from our Ash Wednesday service... Can I say how nice it is to take in church with the little ones in tow? For holy days and others like this, we head to a less formal church down the street that we can make in a timely manner after preschool pick-up. We sit in back in the corner, we sing and wiggle and take in the liturgy, but without the stresses and rigor of usual Sunday Mass. It is sweet.

Today MG toddled around, carrying the worship aid paper. J followed after her, giving her water and her "Na-na" pink elephant. T told me, "Jesus is coming again a second time" and I nodded and smiled at his enthusiasm. Later, when it was time for ashes, we all walked down the aisle. T hid behind me--"I believe in Jesus, but I don't want ashes"--until we reached the man and he ended up receiving some after all. I heard no complaints after, he seemed relieved and at peace, almost happy with his feat of ashes. Cute.

J's ashes showered down on his nose, so he looked like a black-nosed puppy before we wiped him clean. MG was very interested in rubbing my ashes with her finger and then staring at the black left behind.

It was all very sweet. A treasured beginning to what will hopefully be a treasured time of preparation for all of us. We welcome you, season of Lent. We open our home and hearts to you, Lord Jesus.

1 comment:

FL M said...

God Bless those little angels!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers