Monday, May 9, 2011

Piano Man

Back in February, around M's 6th birthday, we decided to take the plunge into music lessons for the little man. A friend of ours has four incredibly musical sons, who now play everything from the piano to the banjo, fiddle, violin, mandolin... you get the picture! And she recommended starting piano in the spring semester of kindergarten year. So away we went!

I have to admit that at first, I wasn't so sure how it was going to go. The teacher didn't either. For the first half of the first lesson, M chattered away about everything from a to z without having any apparent interest in the piano set before him. Mr. Jake said he had misgivings until he pulled out "something for M to sink his teeth in" and from there, we were golden. M hasn't looked back. And he seems to really love it! This is all thrilling because I, too, played piano from kindergarten through eighth grade and pretty much dreaded it the entire time! Oh, what my mother had to endure to get me to practice--I will say, once I sat down and really got to know a piece, I loved it. It was getting to that point that was the real challenge.

So you can imagine my delight that M's playing has gone so well so far. Practicing the piano happens to be one of the few things in our life that I only have to ask him to do once. Before the words are out of my mouth, there he is sitting down to play. Pinch me. Seriously, who's kid is this? :). We practice daily and it involves a LOT of my personal attention which has been a challenge with so many other things going on. I'm making the commitment, though, for M and eventually for ALL of my kids. It will be a labor of love, for sure, but one I'm willing to make to develop their musicality. Mr. Jake is also pleased how things are going--M is making quick progress and is almost already done with his first round of books. Fantastico!

On Saturday M actually had his first recital! He played "My Computer" and "Row Your Boat" by James Bastien. He was the smallest guy there and the most dapper (biased!) dressed in his blue sportcoat, tie, and khakis. Oh, my little piano man! He went to the front and introduced himself with a smile and bravado, "I'm MG and I'll be playing My Computer and...err (eyes rolling to the upper right)..Row Your Boat!". Off he went. After starting out on the wrong note, he stopped and said, "Oops, I think I need to start again... (looking back at his teacher, who gave a nod of approval). The audience was ready to burst into laughter at our adorable little man, he was so precious. He started again and played away without a hiccup. Afterward, we had several people approach M and tell him he needed to teach the other kids how to do a proper introduction. Later, Mr. Jake was so proud, saying M needed to also teach the other kids a lesson on how to "lighten up" and not be so serious. Our little comic. We were bursting with pride for all the right reasons.
It was a G-Ville first and we're glad to check that off the list! M says that next time he's going to be "more braver".

Thanks for sharing in my joy about my kids. They are God's gifts to me and I couldn't pick a better brood (whines and all).

God bless all mothers yesterday and today (especially our Gramz and Mimi!!)--Mother's Day post to come...

3 comments:

OH G and P said...

M, you are a little man after my own heart! We are so proud of what you have accomplished in such a short time. Now, to get Skype rolling so we can have a concert! BRAVO!!!

Carolina Girl said...

Wow! What an awesome little fella you have there, B! So cute in his concert attire too!

I so wish my Mom had made me take piano lessons.

va mama said...

Could a piano-playing Mimi be more proud?!?!? MG, you rock!!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers