Tuesday, May 10, 2011

On This Motherly Journey

I want to thank all of our readers for enduring my more celebratory kid posts lately. I don't know what has come over me as a mother lately other than sheer gratitude for the ability to bear children, watch them grow, contribute to their learning, and help fashion them as little people in the world. What a privilege! There have been many more moments over the last 6 years than I'd like to admit, where I found myself dreading my role, relinquishing responsibility, embarrassed by my children, and overwhelmed by the great responsibility of parenting children who were, by nature, very different from me. Mothering has been the most challenging role I've ever assumed in life.

But as with most things challenging, it is starting to offer more rewards than I ever thought possible. They are the rewards of acts of kindness shared between siblings, obedience the first time, hugs and lovely sentiments offered to me without request, positive feedback from teachers and coaches. These are the gifts of motherhood. These are the occasional pats on the back to a mom for her labor. I guess you could say I'm relishing these moments as a sort of momentary "thank you" in the midst of this tireless journey.

Bringing it all back to reality, I wish I could tell you my kids always made me proud. But they don't. If you had been a fly on the trellis of our patio luncheon on Mother's Day, you would have seen my frustration and embarrassment over my kids' behavior. I never, never, NEVER intend to paint a solely rosy picture of our day to day over here in G-Ville. It takes work, it takes patience, it takes more of GG and I than we'd ever like to admit. We have bad days, hard moments, frustrating times A LOT. Yet I'm convinced if we weather these tough ones in pursuit of the good times and do it all in love, we're coming out on top in the end. It is a marathon journey GG and I are on together as parents and we are committed to working at our family always. Part of that for me, the mom, is absolutely celebrating our good times, the times that make me smile and bring joy to my heart! Because I've fought for these moments... And I know they are the ones we'll remember. Was our Mother's Day outing perfect? Far from it. But did we walk away commenting on the lovely afternoon together? Yes, indeed.

We've got the good, the bad, and the ugly over here in G-Ville too, we're just zooming in on the positive!

As always, keeping' it real,

4 comments:

Morrisons said...

You are such an inspiration for the rest of us! I hope your Mothers Day went well (except for the lunch!) and that the good moments outnumber the challenging ones. Happy Mom's Day!

va mama said...

You and GG are such awesome parents! Papa and I are in awe of what you have created as a loving, faith-filled, and human family. It is our total fortune to be able to witness the day-to-day building of your blessed cathedral. Thanks for a wonderful Mother's Day.

evacauble said...

you always have the right words... and these had me in tears! not sad ones really, nor necessarily happy... but maybe just affirming. great post, for all of us mamas out there! can't wait to celebrate this amazing role with you on saturday. happy happy belated mother's day, to one of the best! and happy anniversary to you & GG!

Queen B said...

Zoom away on the positive, B-Mama! Thanks for keeping it real, though, so the rest of us earthling mothers don't feel totally left in the dust ;)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers