Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Morning's Victory

Today as we finished breakfast our T stubbornly refused to bring his breakfast dishes to the sink. "I'm too little" was his excuse, despite the fact that the boys have been doing this for quite some time.

"No trains or cars today then," I responded, hoping that the overwhelming threat of not being able to play with all things loved by boys in Gasperini-Ville would force him into submission. Not the case. T went off to play.

In the meantime, M was making plans for his morning playtime, configuring the appropriate track and train characters. T attempted to join in before I reminded him that his breakfast bowl was still waiting and he was not to touch the trains.

And then M piped in, "If I brought T's bowl to the sink, then could he play with trains?" "Yes you may," I replied and M took off to carry the bowl to the sink.

While I was still disappointed in T for shirking responsibility, I couldn't help but do a little dance inside regarding M's selflessness. Shouldn't I be encouraging this type of behavior the most in our home, rules and responsibilities aside? Loving others should trump all else! M had acted in such a loving and Christ-like way toward his brother, I couldn't help but celebrate this small victory. Christ has revealed Himself to us this morning! Hallelujah! Alleluia!

1 comment:

Elso said...

So sweet! As often as they fight there are times when O and S throw me completely off guard by doing something loving for the other. I love it!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers