Thursday, April 7, 2011

Turbo-charged

When I need coffee, I need it. Like really need it.

This morning was one of those times.
I don't regularly have it because I like to savor it, drink in its caffeinated bliss on special occasions. Since I don't regularly imbibe caffeine, I will vouch that its effect on me is pretty astounding. It is like my own personal turbo boost that I save for days when I'm particularly dragging. I also read recently that caffeine increases seratonin release in the brain, making you feel good. No wonder I feel I can conquer the world with a cup of Starbucks in hand.

So, back to this morning and my need for coffee. I go to the pantry to get a filter and alas, we're out. How in the world can one let 100+ filters run out? Apparently, me. At this point, if you're a regular person, you hop in a car, drive to the store, and buy a thousand new filters to last until kingdom come (and prevent you from ever being in this situation again). In my world, this option does not exist--I have one child off to school, another to ready for preschool, another still walking around in his jammies, and yet another who has been fussy all morning and is already in bed for her morning nap. I'm strapped. No filters.

I call Mimi and Papa--perhaps Papa can bring a filter to me when he comes to pick up T to take him to preschool? No luck. They don't have drip filters. Shux.

I say to J that as soon as MG wakes up, we're heading for Starbucks and the grocery store. This somehow makes me feel better.

15 minutes later, in walks Papa, carrying a coffee prepared for me by Mimi. Not only does it have caffeine, but also froth from her espresso machine. I couldn't help smiling from ear to ear. I was saved (and so spoiled)! Are they good to me or what?! They are gems, for sure.

One downed coffee drink later...
The seratonin is taking effect. Happiness. Thank the good Lord!

I leave you with a gratuitously sweet pic of J from our venture yesterday to the botanical gardens...
Smiley J, who does love to steal drinks of his mama's coffee!
God bless,

5 comments:

Carolina Girl said...

Do they deliver to Texas?? ha!
What a wonderful treat from wonderful peeps!

B-Mama said...

Seriously wonderful peeps!! When I get my filters, Carolina, I'll overnight you a cup. :) xo

Tracy said...

How did we miss you at the gardens yesterday??? We were there too!

jess a said...

as your coffee expert friend, i have to ask :) - what is the shape of your coffee filter? because if it's the metal cone kind, in the future you don't need paper at all! call me and we can talk deets. :) ha ha

laura said...

i had to comment on this one as i was just thinking to myself that i always have the best day when i have coffee in the morning. it's a little luxury...i swing by starbucks on the way home from preschool drop-off twice a week...and those days are the days i feel, like you said, like i can conquer the world...maybe i need to finally buy a coffee pot of my own! ;)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers