Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Feeling Groovy

I went to type the title to this post as "Feeling Good" and then couldn't help myself with the "Groovy" addition. lol. We ARE feeling groovy, so why not start off the post appropriately?! :)

Life is groovy around here. The third floor is essentially finished. The new bath is *clean*! All extras have been hauled away and our rooms are now all taking shape. MG's nursery is coming together. My bag is actually packed for the hospital. To top it off, Mimi and Papa are back from Hawaii, so we have our support system in place should we need it at the spur-of-the-moment!

On the wee baby front, I am feeling great. For those of you who don't know, it is my goal this go 'round to make a real effort toward having a drug-free labor and delivery. J's birth was drug-free, but by accident. We loved the actual experience and hope to do it again!! To help us achieve this, we had the fortune of finding a last-minute doula (birth coach) who is in training and FREE! We met with her Monday night and so enjoyed meeting her. She was chill and kind and warm. GG and I agree that she will bring a perfect complimentary vibe to our delivery! We are currently brainstorming our birth wishes and I am typing up a birth plan this afternoon.

According to doula wisdom, #4 births can be "tricky" with longer prodromal (pre-labor) phases as the body does more of the work ahead of time (perhaps because it knows there are other children to take care of!) Actual active labor, then, is much shorter, which means less time at the hospital. Funny enough, yesterday I was crampy/achy all day and had some Braxton Hicks contractions with an edge last night. Could this be a sign? Who knows!

Whatever happens, we're less than two weeks from my due date anyway, so we'll see this lady soon enough! GG requested I wait until the weekend at least. I'll try, honey ;).

Have a blessed day,

6 comments:

OH G and P said...

Those guys in their Aloha gear are precious. Can't wait to get there and see them in person! Oh, and by the way, MG, please wait until we can get there!!!

Carolina Girl said...

Ahh, I was wondering if you were going to use a doula. I think you'll love her expertise (even if she's new). Before I was able to get my epidural, Brian had to leave the room for something and during a contraction, the nurse, who had had 3 natural births of her own, came over and rubbed my back in the exact spot and in the exact way I needed her to so that I could make it through the contraction without screaming.

She TRIED to show Brian how to do it, but he just didn't get it. So, the whole rest of the time, I was thinking, "can't she just come back and do this for him...". Don't get me wrong, Brian was GREAT and did everything I asked of him. She just had the touch.

So, I think if you're going to go the natural route, a doula is a great way to go.

Elena said...

my # 2 may body did most of the work before hand, I was walking around at a 5/6 cm for about a week. Labor was pretty short. It was really nice. I hope this happens for you.

jess a. said...

exciting to hear about the BHCs. i'm so eager to hear about your doula experience, too.

Shannon said...

go B-Mama Go!! I have EVERY bit of confidence in you!
And you're going to indulge us with a birth story when it's all over, right?? Either that or I'll be knocking at your door!!

LOTS AND LOTS of prayers, sweetie... you can do it!

Anonymous said...

I've only heard great things about doulas from those who have used one- can't wait to hear about your experience when the time comes. If Tom and I are blessed enough to have a second, I am getting a doula as well to up my chances of avoiding another c-section. Hope it isn't much longer...
Carol P.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers