Monday, July 20, 2009

Happy 65th, Mickey and Molly!

Why are we so happy?
Because we just returned from an awesome weekend up in Pennsylvania to celebrate my grandparents' 65th(!) wedding anniversary!! We headed up there on Friday and were the first surprise guests to arrive... My grandpa heard voices outside, walked out the door, and immediately broke down into tears. And the tears kept flowing with the arrival of my Uncle Mike and Aunt Marsha from Michigan, Kelly and little Alex (first cousin once removed) from North Carolina --my first cousin, Mike, is awaiting Army deployment in Texas and couldn't make it :(, and finally, my sister, Jessica, and her family from Ohio! Every arrival brought additional smiles, tears, and hugs. We haven't all been together in ages. What chaos, but what fun!
Sweeties--J and his great grandmother "GiGi"

My nephew, Avery, hugging GGP "Geep"(great grandpa).

Crazy play with Pappy

All 6 great-grandsons (we are gender-challenged!) listening to Kelly read.

More crazy play with Alex--can you imagine how small
my grandparents' duplex felt with 6 boys running/toddling around!!

Our weekend was made perfect with the arrival of a special guest later Friday evening--our GG! What a trooper--he drove from a long week of work in DC to be there for this momentous weekend. You have no idea how special this was for me! Thank you a million, my love!!

Saturday began in idle fashion with a trip to Starbucks for Jessica and me and our families. How much I love being with my sis and her crew. She is a kindred spirit in so many ways... Just wished we lived closer!! Her twin guys, Andrew and Avery, and our boys get along great. They seem to really enjoy time together. We also love her hubby, Chad, who is amiable and so easy to talk to. He brings humor to every situation and keeps us laughing. :) I smile thinking of them all.

First cousins at Starbucks the next morning.

After 'bucks, it was time to get the family moving and we headed to a *beautiful* river park. The boys played baseball and monkeyed around on a primitive playground. We ate lunch and enjoyed the company of my grandparents, who were shuttled up the hill on a golf cart by a kind park ranger. How much I love meeting good people in the world like him. He was a gem!
Our day came to a close with dinner out and then an evening party later at my Aunt and Uncle's house (on my dad's side). Lo and behold, we ended up having a (almost) complete family reunion with both sides of my family. What heartwarming times...
Gigi and Geep with all 6 great-grandsons

My grandparents' legacy

The W cousins (dad's side)--we're all grown up!

The W brothers (my dad is in the middle--the oldest of 5)

What a great time... We all have colds now, but I'd do it again in a minute!!
God bless,

5 comments:

Elso said...

What a special weekend. I'm sure your grandparents had a wonderful weekend that they'll always remember. So glad you could all be together.

Right Said Red said...

How wonderful! I wish I could have seen the look on Mickey's face! What a nice surprise for him.

I hope your cold passes soon and you all feel well.

Teacher-Mom said...

What a special time together. I can't believe there are only boy great grandsons. Where are all of the girls for our boys?!

Shannon said...

I can't believe your littlest guy is almost one! He is so so so so cute!

Sounds like you had a beautiful weekend with your family. What memories these times are! We celebrated my grandparents' 65 wedding anniversary in October... what a cause for celebration!

I know I've been quiet over her but I've been thinking of you constantly!

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Hilary said...

That's sooo special!!! What a great weekend and great memories too :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers