Monday, November 24, 2008

Recovering...

...from a great weekend!  You can check here for the results.  
Needless to say, I was humbled by my competition, but then had to remind myself that these are my friends and my friends are stellar!  Never should I be ashamed for running 8-min miles!  Pish posh! :)  

GG and I had such a great weekend-- a fun (albeit quick) getaway.  Our time spent with Red and her family was, as always, so gratifying.  We arrived in time for Mass Saturday, returned to their lovely home for an excellent dinner, and talked into the later evening hours while sipping wine.  Raceday was an early one--up at 5:30, nurse the baby, off by 6, only to stand and freeze by the starting line!  There were 50,000 racers there amidst the sub 30F temperatures!  Red humored me by standing in line for the port-a-potties.  Why do they always underestimate the need for bathrooms????

I digress. :)  We had plenty of time before the start due to the number of people running the half and full marathons.  No sooner had we mosied our way up to the front of the pack than we found Juris Mater and had a pre-race chatter.  The gun went off (not really--it wouldn't work in the cold!) and we were off!  A few steps in and I knew I was doomed--my whole body had an eerie sluggish, unresponsiveness.  Yuck!  Red and I trudged through the early miles together, she encouraging me to stick with her and keep pace.  What a dear.  At around 2.5 miles, I insisted she go ahead and then managed to muscle out the final miles (at every opportunity I wanted to walk!)  As I rounded the corner to the finish line, I saw that I was close to breaking 40:00, so sprint I did, ending with a 39:50.  Oh Lord, I made it.  

Chalk it up to a great time with friends and a beautiful opportunity to see Philadelphia at 7 o'clock in the morning!  :)  How blessed we are to have legs to run and lungs to breathe...  Hugs on a Monday!  It's Turkey week, so get excited!!!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I am so impressed, B-Mama! Great job!

orahoods said...

Wow, B-mama, I'm so impressed! How I envy those who run and enjoy it! Way to go!

Carolina Girl said...

Great job! No pish posh about 8 min miles!! For some of us, that's a goal!! :)
Yes, praises for legs that can run (still nursing an injury here) and lungs that can breathe!!!

Seriously, nursing a baby at 5:30 and running a race at 7...that is feat enough for one day!! Don't be so hard on yourself B-mama!

Anonymous said...

OH M & D

All the way from the Mediterranean we send you big kudos! We're so proud of all you do!! Email us!

Kisses!!!!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers