Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Waiting Game

"Be still and know that I am God..." Ps. 46:10

This beautiful phrase has been swimming around in my head all day long, invading my prayerlife and reminding me of my need for peace during what feels like an extreme test of patience.

I can remember back in elementary school when our art teacher, Mrs. Camp (the best ever!), gave us the task of drawing the word "waiting". What does waiting look like? A difficult idea for any sixth-grader to portray! I remember sitting at my table and having to think it over a bit. What does it really look like to wait? How does one capture the potential impatience, anxiety, and fear that comes with waiting?

I ended up drawing a picture of a pup waiting outside a door, expectantly hoping for the next second when his owner was going to let him in...

And yet, here we are in Gasperini-Ville, waiting and waiting for the outcome of so many different scenarios and no one is opening our proverbial door! We are stuck on the doorstep and I have to admit experiencing extreme frustration!

"Be still and know that I am God."

I can't!!!

"Be still and know that I am God."

Okay, Lord, I'm trying.

Then I really sit back and know that our momentary tests, these brief encounters with waiting, are nothing compared with all the waiting we've endured in the past and all that others are enduring at the moment. Lord, have mercy on me in my impatience!

And quite appropriately, He responds with "Be still and know that I am God."

God bless you today in your busyness and stillness (hopefully more of the latter!)

No comments:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers