Wednesday, September 5, 2007

The rest of the truth

"Dear Lord, thank you for making me a mother. I love these little souls you have entrusted to my care. I love their unconditional love, their ready forgiveness, their sweetness, their innocence. Help me to remember the unique and infinite value of each of my children, even when they overwhelm me. Even when they frustrate me. Even when they try my patience in a thousand different ways. In moments of anxiety and weakness, remind me always to turn to you. Give me peace and strength that can only come from you... Amen."
-Mom to Mom, Day to Day: Advice and Support for Catholic Living by Danielle Bean

While Gasperini-Ville appears to be all smiles and cheer lately, I have to admit to some pretty rough days as a mother of two small children and another in utero (causing me ample "suffering" throughout the day). The bottom line: we are in a really tough stage where both boys are continuing to grow and NEED and are able to offer little help to their first trimester mama! I'd have to say, Monday was one of our worst days on record--child and mama behavior, alike. By the time GG came home, I was a wreck and needed a break!

Praise God for a *wonderful* and escaping coffee date with my dear friend, Catherine. GG set it up, calling her hubby and asking if his wife could go out with me. How sweet! And I needed it so... :) We had a grand time and C lent me a book I quoted above. What solace and insight! I have been consuming it since... and feeling much better.

And not that we haven't had our hang-ups, but sometimes its nice to know one is not alone in the mothering world; that things are frustrating, challenging, overwhelming and often! Sometimes I wish society was as it was eons ago when people lived in hunter/gatherer societies. Even women then needed each other to commiserate with and support one another! It's no wonder they didn't want to head out and hunt meat. They had too much to talk about! :)

Glad to fill you in on the latest. No facades here in Gasperini-Ville.
God bless your Wednesday!

2 comments:

OH M said...

Thanking God for you and the children, and friends who build you up. What blessings all!

Jessica Anderson said...

i'm glad you got to go to coffee with catherine. tell G that was a wise & kind gesture. as we well know, coffee+good friends (and sometimes even cats in strollers)= laughs & lightheartedness. hang in there. love you.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers