Monday, April 6, 2009

ENT Report

We just returned from the ENT, Nasonex in hand, ready to see if we can offer our T some relief before plunging into surgery. The doc says T's a classic case of allergies causing enlarged adenoids and tonsils to the point of preventing breathing while sleeping. This can manifest as groggy morning waking, moody day spells, and general breathing discomfort due to the blocked airways preventing quality night sleep. I am in awe that so many pieces of this puzzle are falling into place... While I hate for him to suffer, it's so nice to have an explanation of why we've been struggling with so many of these variables over the past months and even years. It's awesome to have answers!!!

We will try the Nasonex for the next 4-6 weeks to see if it will help offer T some "breathing room" in his airways. If it doesn't work, we will proceed to having his tonsils and adenoids out!! Whew!!

So that's the scoop! Blessings to you this Monday!

*I've just done some preliminary research online as to the effect of Nasonex on children. I read about some scary side effects reported by parents such as aggression, hyperactivity, and dopiness in kids. Alarming!! I am really hesitant to give this to my little boy! Does anyone out there have any experience with children and allergies? Nasonex is a corticosteroid designed to relieve inflammation in the airway... Part of me wants to buck the doc's orders and refuse to administer it. We'll see. Any advice?

6 comments:

B-Mama said...

I might just do that. It seems like the surgery is noninvasive and an immediate solution. I would prefer doing that over medication that is going to make my child act differently! Not to mention that Nasonex is an adult medication giving to children and is the only one of its kind approved for children as young as 2 years. That starts ringing alarm bells for me right off the bat...

Kerry said...

While any surgery is invasive and the recovery is somewhat difficult I personally think it is inevitable anyways. I had my adenoids and tonsils removed in 2nd grade. Prior to that I was sick ALL THE TIME, for years. I was sick so much that they couldn't even give my my immunizations on schedule that my mom had to write a letter to the school board to get permission for me to start Kindergarten. After I had them out I was a different child and rarely sick with sinus infections, ear infections etc...maybe sick once a year.
From a nurse's perspective, your doctor is probably very familiar with this drug and has probably used it on children as young as T frequently. Thus he is comfortable prescribing. The side effects are alarming. In the past when I have taken nasonex, I do get relief but it is temporary.My nephew uses it bc of asthma and allergies and his mom says that he does not exhibit those side effects. He is 6 now but has been taking it for a few years. I still think in the end, it is a temporary fix if it helps. Did he give you this as an option to avoid surgery for now or did he really push trying this first and if the nasonex doesn't yield the results he is looking for then do surgery?

B-Mama said...

I just called and spoke with the doc, who was very informative. Kerry, you were right, she has used the drug on children as young as 6mos. and has never seen any of the symptoms I found online. I think you're right that the Nasonex would be a temp. fix. She said that the Nasonex might buy us some time before T's nasal passageways grow larger to accommodate better breathing around the tonsils and adenoids. She also was open to the idea of us proceeding with surgery and outlined the prep, procedure, recovery, etc. Part of me wants to see if his symptoms hang around longer and another part of me wants this done and over with! Part of me is disbelieving that he really has allergies and another part of me is so relieved that this seems to answer a lot of the questions we've had about his sleep in the past months. Oh, what's a mother to do!!

I think we might try the meds for a little while and see what happens, see if the snoring and apnea continue... I don't want to jump the gun on anything!

The Ballee Girls said...

My gut would say try the meds first. You'll know pretty quickly how well or poorly he's reacting both in terms of effectiveness and/or side effects, then with that info move to surgery. It's soooo hard, I know. We're just in the throws of chronic ear infections...so painful to see kids in discomfort, and taxing lack of sleep and lowered productivity for the whole family. I know the feeling of just wanting it all fixed! Good luck and XOXO.

Carolina Girl said...

I don't have any advice for children with allergies, although I fear Boo will suffer right along with me when he gets older.
That being said, he did have a corticosteriod shot once for his bout with croup and boy did it ever make him hyper. He was pleasantly hyper though, so that was good. And it was short lived b/c it was a one time injection.

You might want to talk to Sarah. J has really bad allergies and they're in the midst of trying to find the right treatment for him too.

Donna said...

Oh I hope it helps!! Marky had enlarged tonsils and adenoids and took long naps (which was apparently b/c they weren't restful) and then woke up cranky and exhausted and completely unable to cope. We finally did the surgery when he was three and I will say, he was a new child. Julia seems to be having the same issues- maybe we will look into Nasonex first and see how it goes.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers