Saturday, May 5, 2012

Surprise!!

Well, despite all the distractions yesterday, our little Genevieve couldn't wait to join our crew. I was in labor denial all day (of course those contractions couldn't possibly be the real deal, especially with so much going on?!) ;) Nonetheless, by later afternoon, it was apparent our newest little lady was planning to make her grand debut.

 Because of the full moon and record numbers of women heading to the same hospital, my doc had me hightail it in to labor and delivery. Good thing she did because I got one of the last beds before they started diversion (funny enough, I've been diverted the last two labors and we weren't going to have that happen again!!). It was also good to get me in because by the time we were settled and checked at 6pm, we only had two hours until she was born at 8:10pm!!

 Natural labor went so well. My first check showed I was 4-5cm and 80% effaced. My ob was able to do the check--she just happened to be at the office getting caught up on paperwork and was able to come over to see me. What a blessing and I was encouraged to know I was at the start of active labor. I immediately found a Bradley running position on my side and stayed put because I was so comfortable. It allowed me to breathe through the contractions while GG rubbed my back. We offered the pain for various prayer intentions and I found myself visualizing a mountaintop with a valley lying in the distance. I could see the valley beyond and work to get there. Pretty cool. For the most part, the contractions really were tolerable and I even found myself saying a few times in my head--"that's all you've got, that's nothing!" lol. Thankfully, the contraction were also spaced nicely, lasting a minute and 5 minutes apart, so I had a lot of recovery time between them.

Working through a contraction
 My water broke around 7:15pm which was a first for me--I usually break close to pushing, so I knew the end was close, but it's always unnerving because you really don't know how much time you have until the end! I had a few good contractions that were doable, but harder and then the nurse checked me at 7:30 to find that I was 7cm. I admit, I was a little disappointed. I hoped I was already transitioning and this told me I still had a little ways to go. Fortunately, though, as soon as the nurse left the room and the next contraction came, I was in dire pain and starting calling to Geoff that I needed to push. Geoff frantically paged the nurses while I suffered in the background. The nurse said that she heard me and grabbed the nearest doctor and they went running.

 By the time they got there, my contraction was over, but I was having a hard time not pushing. They rolled me to my side and the doc said to me, "Hey, look here, we're not going to do this crazily. We're going to be nice and controlled so you don't tear.". She was awesome and I needed this... I started pushing and heard Geoff say, "Honey, she's right here" and a minute later, out was G's head. A minute or so more and out she came altogether. The nurse looked at me and said, "so when are you going to start teaching the classes?" I felt so flattered--I had my sweet girl and we did it with flair! Way to go team G :)!

 Baby Genevieve is so sweet and reminds me so much of our T. She was extremely alert after delivery and nursed well right away. My doc arrived about 5 minutes too late, which was just fine. Geoff actually heard them saying right before pushing that the doc was on her way (almost as if we'd want to wait). Knowing how things go so fast, he quickly and urgently replied--"we don't care!!!". Thank goodness he's on my side! :)

 The doc stayed for quite awhile and even donned a suit to do a couple superficial stitches... Then it was time to sit back and enjoy our baby, call family and friends, and revel in the goodness of our blessings. The older boys were still up when we called to talk to G's parents. They were so cute and excited to hear about their new baby sister. We made plans to have them come in and meet her the following day... 

So, dear friends, that is our chronicling of May 4, 2012, a super day in the life of G-Ville. Welcome to our Genevieve Grace, born at 8:10pm and weighing 7lbs. 14oz., 20 inches!! The first sibling gathering was this morning--it was sweet and everyone took to each other very well. MG was a little nervous in the hospital environment, but seemed to like the baby. Let's hope it's the start of something beautiful between sisters. Thank you for your prayers and goodness to us. We feel so blessed. More to come...  :) B

15 comments:

Lauren Gentile said...

CONGRATULATIONS, G's! Another GG. We are thrilled over here and can't wait to meet her.

Praise the Lord for another healthy G baby. He is so good to us. Enjoy the snuggling.

Lauren G said...

Whoops. Mrs. Bebsworth is Lauren G by the way--that's Geoff's weird nickname for me. Will explain over coffee, hopefully before long. Love!

Shannon said...

you are amazing!! I can't believe you are updating your blog! Go you!!

Enjoy your sweet little one in the days ahead...

prayers!

Morrisons said...

Such a sweet blessing! Prayers for all of you. Congrats! Can't wait to see pictures!

OH G said...

Tears of overwhelming joy that you did so well and so valiantly welcomed new little G into this world. Yes, HE is good!!

Can't wait to get to your "big" corner of the world in the days to come. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall to see the sibling gathering. What a treasured time!! xoxo

Carolina Girl said...

Yay!! She's here!! Can't wait to see her pictures. Sounds like you did a great job through labor and delivery. Great story, GGG!

Queen B said...

Hallelujah!

Teacher-Mom said...

Oh B, what a beautiful post! I'm so happy for all of you and your newest little blessing. It sounds as if things went as perfectly as they could have, what a relief I'm sure! Can't wait to see the pictures of your newest little lady and hear how things are going as you transition from a family of 6 to a family of 7.

Christy said...

Congratulations! We can't wait to meet her! If you need me to take the boys this week, I'll be happy to! I'll call you on Monday.

xoxo

orahoods said...

What a wonderful story for what I am sure is another beautiful baby and her entry into the world! She is a lucky girl to become the newest G! Congratulations and well done Mama!

Bethany A said...

Congratulations to the G family! Population G-Ville: 6+1 = 7! Can't wait to see her picture.

imblessed said...

ohh sooo happy for you and your beautiful family!!

God Bless you!

you look amazing btw :)

Krissy said...

So many congrats! What a beautiful bunch you have. Loved reading this- so many similarities to my experience a couple weeks ago- the labor denial, first time water break, our babies were even within a half ounce of each other- but I don't think I was nearly so graceful in my natural birth. Way to go Gs!

Jennie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennie said...

Congratulations! She's beautiful and I love the name!

God bless!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers