Monday, August 10, 2009

Weekend Anecdote

As told by Papa...

"GG had to lector at St. B at 0800 and I had to usher at St M at 0900. We therefore decided that I would arrive at GG’s house at 0730 and take the boys to St M and place them in the nursery. GG would meet me afterward at St M. Right before we were to depart for St M both T and J decided to poop their pants big time. That set me back time wise but we still showed up at St M at 0855. The bad news was that the nursery was closed. Instead of doing the prudent thing and take the boys to our house and wait for GG, I figured I could hang on until GG showed up in a half hour. He could then assist. Bad idea. M was a perfect gentleman, J was good but babbling. T had brought his blanket into church and was lying horizontal in the pew between squeezing J’s cheeks. In my hurry to leave the house after the poop incidents I forgot to bring the bag full of implements prepared by GG—diapers, extra clothes, and most importantly, J’s pacifier. When J started to babble too loud, I had to stick my finger in his mouth. Ouch! That little guy has teeth now. He must have liked my thumb because he never cried, just babbled. Things were going OK until I looked over at T on my left. His shorts were off! What the heck! I struggled to replace his pants while holding J. M was distracting J which was a nice gesture, but it got J to be more vocal. I finally got T’s shorts on and noticed the button had somehow fallen off. Also, his crocs were under the pew as well. I would have left at that point but the readings were going on and leaving with three boys, one with his britches at half mast, would have been just too disruptive.. We hung on for the homily, which M enjoyed (on several occasions he repeated with a laugh what the priest said—“That’s funny"). All the while I had this strange notion that GG would come into the church and give me some relief. That was not to be and as soon as everyone stood up after the homily we were out of there. A visit to three 7-11’s thereafter ensued looking for the blueberry donuts I had promised T and M. We then returned to our house where we rendezvoused with GG. Everything settled down after that, but it was quite an experience. The lesson learned is never to trust that the St M nursery will be open. Lesson #2 is that when the nursery is not open to simply go home if you are a Papa with three little boys."

LOL. I have the best father-in-law!!!

8 comments:

Jess said...

That must make you feel so happy knowing that the boys are boys no matter who is telling them what to do.

Carolina Girl said...

Hilarious!!
Better you than me Papa! Lol.

Anonymous said...

FL M

This conjures up all kinds of visual pictures...all hilarious!!!
Poor PAPA...but a definite candidate for "PAPA of the Year"!

Kerry said...

I loved reading this! Hilarious! Yes, indeed you do have one great FIL!

Angela said...

I can just picture Uncle Rich telling that story. Classic!

The Fighter Family... said...

This story just made me laugh out loud...hilarious! Aren't papa's the best? :-) Hilarious!

Ryan and Amy said...

This totally made me smile. You have a great FIL. LOVE IT!!!

Amy

T. Armstrong said...

Fabulous!!! I love it, and indeed you do have a great FIL who is a great Papa!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers