Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Heart of It All

Ohio's license plate used to bear the slogan, "The Heart of it all" which is a rather fitting expression for me to associate with my childhood. Today, all of my immediate family live there along with many dear friends who know me better than I know myself at times. The place is truly "my heart", which is why the expression is so appropriate.

This past weekend's visit there was beyond heartwarming. Baby J was my little travel companion and made his maiden airplane ride with no hiccups to speak of. Mom's bag of tricks, a friendly gentleman to our left, and Northwest Airline Biscotti cookies were enough to please the little guy into eventual sleep submission for the latter half of the flight. Excellent.
We arrived to my beloved sister and twin nephews, who were fresh out of bed and off to the airport to fetch us. On our route home, we stopped to visit a dear friend from high school, H, and her adorable girls. J fell asleep in the car and thanks to a breezy, cool morning, spent the majority of the visit continuing to snooze while the kids played and moms talked. How awesome to see H and rejoice in the new wee babe they will be welcoming in November! Afterward, we headed to a coffee house/kid play place that was great to grab a quick bite to eat and allow the twins and J a chance to stretch their legs...

Later that afternoon, I had the chance to meet this sweet little girl, the daughter of my best friend, Kati, from growing up. Have I mentioned that my best friend and sister married brothers and now live right next-door to one another? It sounds a little backward, but is totally special, and now my sister and best friend are sisters-in-law, great friends, and mothers to best friend cousins. How cool is that? Talking to one, I can get an update on the other and it works out great for me. This visit proved to me that I need to head out there more often--I definitely get two for the price of one! :)

The rest of the weekend involved a lot of relaxing, fun times meeting my sisters' friends, doting on Baby J, drawing for my nephews (they are really into coloring!), hanging out by my sis' new pool (beautiful!), and meeting up with my dear gals from high school. We got together on Saturday night at my friend Amy's house and enjoyed a few hours of amazing, home cooked fare (Thanks Rob!) and great conversation. I love these girls. They are definitely my heart. Of course we forgot to take a pic that night, but remembered the next day when we got together for a run (sans Kati). Baby J was as smitten with them as I thought he would be. Good judge of character.

I'm happy to report we are home now and happy. Our travels Sunday night were a bit delayed, which translated into a really late arrival and rough Monday. Today we are back up to snuff and raring to go... Just in time for J's first birthday tomorrow!!! Can't wait.

Hope this finds you well and blessed,

3 comments:

Carolina Girl said...

What a wonderful visit. I was just checking your blog yesterday and couldn't believe that J was turning one!!! Wow! Happy bday Sweet Baby J!

orahoods said...

B-I totally understand all your feelings when traveling back to Ohio. Fills that little spot left in your heart like only time spent with friends and family in a familiar setting can! Glad you had a great time! Kati's new little one is such a doll!

Kerry said...

Sounds like a wonderful and "full" visit with all the people you saw! So glad J was a great flight companion. I can't believe he is turning one! I feel like I was just reading about your fast delivery and the lack of drugs! Wow, time sure does fly!

I am sorry I never got back in touch with you while in Richmond, with my travels to North Carolina, my days dwindled down and we spent the rest of our days with our G.G.!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers