Monday, January 28, 2013

Checking In

It is a dreary Monday morning here in G-Ville and I've been meaning to get on here and update for days.  Yet life marches on and with it we go, whether I've written about it or not.  Most of our life lately has been just the ebb and flow of the day to day with our family--nothing too exciting to report, thanks be to God!

The rain falls outside, but inside we are rather cozy this morning.  The kids are (thankfully) off of school today thanks to a teacher inservice and I am enjoying the opportunity to take in the morning together and not feel our usual sense of urgency getting out the door.

We had a nice, quiet weekend.  GG and I tackled a few Princeton Alumni interviews on Saturday.  We have perfected the time and location of these interviews after a few years of running around trying to meet with applicants all over the city (and state!)  Now, we've gotten wise to the process and meet them close to us at the library down the street.  What a difference that makes!  Let the children come to us... ;)  Not only did GG meet with one of his students, but he finished the report and submitted it right there at the library.  Brilliant!  In years past we have made the mistake of letting the reports go long after the actual interview, but not this year.  I wrote my two last night and will be editing and submitting today.  We each have one more interview to conduct, but shouldn't have any trouble getting those accomplished.  Check that box!  Feels good.

Yesterday evening we met with our FIRE Catechesis group and had a lovely time of fellowship.  We are dissecting the Nicene Creed this year and studying each component in depth.  Yesterday's focus was on the line "he was crucified under Pontius Pilate, suffered death, and was buried".  The kids did a wonderful job getting to the root of Pilate's inner turmoil as he considered Christ's ultimate fate on the cross.  I was so glad hearing my boys recall the story in good detail and recognize Pilot's predicament.  I guess our Lenten Jesus Tree really has imparted some good long-term understanding.  Now to work on the other liturgical seasons!

As for today, we are snuggling in... I am planning on having the kids do a little "school" and work on some Christmas thank-you's (we are a bit behind :).  T has a nice playdate planned with friends and I have a tutoring session mid-morning.  I am so proud of this student, who has worked through adversity and hardship to conquer 5 units of geometry in mere weeks.  He has been a total rockstar and has earned his spot back in the classroom come February.  What a privilege it is to work as a tutor for these kids--I love it!  Just might need to scale back as the year goes on.  I am currently at 6 sessions/ week, but will be down to 4 after my geometry guy heads back to school...  Whew!  This is becoming a legitimate part-time job, but I'm hoping I can maintain the balance because I find it so rewarding.  It's also good preparation to help my kids with math once they get to middle and high school.  :)

 photo IMG_8844_zps851b05b1.jpg
My own little rockstars!
So that's that from our little corner of the world.  I hope this finds you well today.
God bless,

No comments:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers