Thursday, August 11, 2011

Making Progress

Gosh, it's late around here--12:30am YIKES!
But I'm in one of those stay-up-late-and-check-things-off-the-list moods. For starters, I cleared the 1000+ messages in my inbox. Hooray! Big check there.

I perused some old emails and responded to some necessary ones. Check!

I printed out the little boys' preschool supply lists. I'm hoping I can re-use a lot of what we've already bought in previous years. Does a family really need 5 pair of Fiskar scissors lying around? Soon-to-be check.

I read about the downed Chinook helicopter and a boy's wish for his father to be remembered. Check for tears and some reading time.

And now I'm here to say, "We're making potty progress!!" Hooray! Today J went #2 on the potty 3 (yes THREE--you read that right) times ON HIS OWN and had only one #1 accident while in the midst of play. Definite progress there. Just the fact that he is initiating his potty visits independently is fantastic news for me. Meaning--my efforts are having an effect! woo hoo!! We even went to Cost.co today without a problem. Big steps... My only issue in all of this is that I'm butting up against his 3yo will. I don't want to force my kid to sit on the potty if he doesn't need to be there, right? Or am I just being a softy? Can a mom really force her child to go? Tears are counterproductive to the potty efforts, in my book. This leaves me attempting to delicately handle the potty encouragement.

If only I could find our "Tinkle Bird". He was a gem of a stuffed animal that I used for M to beckon him to the toilet. Whenever I would squeeze the bird, he would make a woodpecker noise that would indicate to M that it was time to go. Must find the Tinkle Bird. I'll do anything to coerce!! :) Potty Training check coming soon...

Sleep well and God bless,

3 comments:

Kathy B said...

Good luck to you on the potty front. I have failed miserably with both K1 and K2. K2 will be 4, yes 4 in Novemeber and still poops in a diaper. It is a nightmare, but like you have said.. I can't fight the 3yr old strong strong will! Just keep telling myself, that same strong personality will pay off later!

FL M said...

Glad things are going well...even if Tinkle Bird is hiding! The bird was probably traumatized after the other 2 boys!!

B-Mama said...

Kathy, I empathize with your current situation--our T has quite the stubborn will and took some time before succumbing to #2 on the potty. The good news it that he *finally* did it and over a year later, you'd never know it took so long! :) My mantra: they won't go to college wearing diapers/using a pacifier/etc. That always puts my heart to rest--this, too, shall pass! Good luck.

Mom, lol. Yes, the tinkle bird was probably appropriately traumatized after T's potty training. lol

Lilypie First Birthday tickers