Wednesday, July 1, 2009

That Which Is At Rest Will Remain At Rest


I was once a state champion.
Today I am totally procrastinating hopping on the elliptical.
Oh, the downward spiral of youth. :)

So why not just "let it go" and give in to atrophied muscles and has-been memories?
Mono has taken me dangerously close to answering this with an "okay"--succumbing to a place I've never been--of sloth, low motivation, and gluttony without responsibility.

No thank you!!!!!
At the start of the week, GG and I committed to a 30 for 30 Challenge: doing at least 30 minutes of cardio for 30 days (the month of July!) It doesn't sound like much, but I really need consistency to get back into the rhythm of exercise again. It's amazing what inertia can do to a person! And this coming off of a half-marathon at the end of March! I still can't believe what a slug I've become. Good, old inertia. No more!

I should also add that we're taking Sundays off as our weekly day of rest and including 13 minutes of daily prayer (setting the bar very low to ensure success!) to tone up our spiritual muscles as well as everything else!!

We are off and running... and I'm heading... right... now... to workout! Join us, will you?! I'll be updating you weekly as to my progress--one specific goal I have is to get back to doing man push-ups. Today I can barely clear 30 girly ones.

God bless,

5 comments:

Carolina Girl said...

Yes!! What a great idea.
I just joined a gym last week. I've been in major sloth mode since about my 6 month of pregnancy when a groin injury kept me from even walking in a pool. It has just now healed enough (after months of PT and l-o-w intensity exercise). I now have a budding SI joint problem on the same side. Afraid the groin problem just shifted to the rear, but I'm persevering...taking it slow with pilates and yoga to work on core strength and stretching. Hoping to one day run again. We have our eyes on the Austin 1/2 marathon in Feb.

Jess said...

B-mama, I too remember the months of coming back from mono. I was not a state champion (only a state participant, we didn't win) and really wanted that body back. The best advice is take it slow. Walking fast for 30 minutes will raise your heartrate without adding exhaustion pretty well. Then you can bump up to elliptical or running. Plus, lifting a baby or pushing them in strollers definitely counts! Good luck. I'm sure you'll get there, and good for GG for being so supportive.

T. Armstrong said...

Good for you! It is SO hard to get back into the swing of exercising...and so easy to slip out of it! :) Love the State pictures...and I recognized another face that I love and miss and is very dear to me! :) I agree with others, take it slow and easy while working back to full out runs!

Krissy said...

I'm working on readjusting to running at altitude...the results have been pretty pathetic thus far with my motivation being low as well. I need to set some kind of schedule myself.

sw said...

i remember those days (and those pictures too)! good luck w/ the running--i'm also trying to establish some consistency and run on a daily basis.

look forward to the updates!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers