Friday, December 17, 2010

Friday reflections

As I sit here with a glass of wine, I am praising God it is Friday and that we've survived another week. There have been moments when I really wanted to sit down and post an update or share a story, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I was either avoiding the computer for fear of being sucked in... or half-asleep trying to have "veg" time after putting the kiddos to bed. Both good reasons for our general sanity, but awful for our blogging!

The week has felt like a whirlwind, even though as I look back on the calendar it appears so much more free than it seemed. The snow that sweetly blanketed the area on Thursday is much to blame for the harried, disorganized feeling I had toward week's end. Nothing like nature to throw a schedule-lovin' mama and her crew into a bit of a tailspin!

Here's a brief synopsis of the week's highlights/low lights--whatever you want to call them!
* Monday I had a MOPS progressive dinner event with main dish at my house--it was a super fun night for me with friends, a chance for the boys to have a night with Mimi/Papa, and GG to spend some precious father/daughter time with MG. He gave her her first bath from her daddy--a telling stat. seeing as she's almost 6-mos-old!! That's how crazy life is around here. Usually Mama takes care of the baby, while Daddy wrangles the three bruisers. He had never given her a bath... until Monday! I was so glad father and daughter had that sweet time together.

*Tuesday GG was slammed at work--bye bye Daddy for the rest of the week; Mama flew solo for the next four nights--yikes! To say my patience was running thin at moments was an understatement! Many prayers were uttered throughout the course of my days--Lord, be my Shepherd!

*Thursday delivered a much anticipated 3-4 inches of snow, sending our town into craziness and canceling school for the next two days... BOYS WERE HOME WITH LOTS OF IDLE TIME! Never a good recipe for success.

*Thursday morning, MG and I dashed out to try to find sleds at the last minute before the snow started (yes, school was canceled before it had even snowed); we are successful at Tar.get! woo hoo!! Mama felt accomplished until returning home and realizing I'd completely wrenched my lower back/sciatic area putting MG in and out of the van!! Unfortunately, this meant I was down for the count most of the day Thursday while GG was still slammed at work and Mimi and Papa were fetching CG (GG's formerly deployed brother who is stationed in Italy) in DC.

The most comfortable position for me to be in was on my stomach. Which begs the question--how does one mother 4 young children while lying face down on the floor?? Many thanks to my sis, J, and my dad, Pappy, awesome physical therapists who coached me over the phone. What amazing, brilliant people I have in my court!! :) They counseled me and got me to a point of peace. I had to live the day doing motions that were least painful--I could do that. I just had to figure out what made me hurt and what didn't. I aimed for as little pain as possible!

I made do with the boys, watching them sled a hill in our front yard while sitting at the window, nursing the baby. I popped Ad.vil and after sledding, they watched a lot of TV and spent a good amount of time on the computer too. I will say, I so dislike spending our days that way! By the end of the day, we all felt yucky. So much for snow day #1. We had nowhere to go but up!!

*Today I awoke feeling SO much better--back in the land of the living. The boys and I spent little time in front of the TV and computer and just ENJOYED the day together. This was AMAZING!! We went sledding, had a snowball fight, made bread in our new breadmaker, went to lunch and got to welcome home CG, and finished the afternoon making fake gingerbread houses (out of paper!) They had a ball and I was on top of the world as their mom... We ended on a definite high, praise God.

So cheers to it being Friday! Cheers to my improving back! Cheers to the return home of our beloved CG! Cheers to GG coming home tonight for a bit of rest! Cheers to the fourth Sunday of Advent! Cheers to a highly anticipated holiday time with family!

Thank you, dear Lord.
God bless you and yours for a wonderful weekend,

2 comments:

OH M said...

Oh, how my heart misses you and all this craziness! Sure wish we'd been there, hands on! So glad you were able to get some help and that the week ended on a high note! PTL that CG is back and all of you can revel together, holidays included!!

Carolina Girl said...

Okay...I'll stop complaining now! :)
Love you B-mama and how you always turn low-lights into high-lights. I'm truly blessed to have you as a friend. Thank you!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers