Tuesday, February 24, 2009

New Practices--Part II

Bibs. In the world of motherhood, they are staples. They offer a respite for the Spray 'n Wash bottle sitting on top of my washer. They make my children somewhat presentable amidst the dirt and grime of the their day.

Bibs are a bit baby'ish, though. And what mother wants to fight the bib battle when there are already so many other fires to put out?

I had abandoned bibs and the daily battles that ensued when I tried to put them on my boys. Even our beloved Bjorn bibs weren't cutting it anymore. Both boys knew how to remove them, so why bother? The Spray 'n Wash was getting a lot of attention. Overall, my children were looking more and more ragged as they continued to spill and abuse their poor clothing.

Yet the morning I found myself and my children sitting around the table dressed for breakfast, I knew our bib policy had to change as well. I was not going to let their crisp clothes go to waste that early in the morning!!! So we made some new rules.

With M just turning 4 and officially becoming a "big boy", I felt it was important to show him some manly deference. Our first rule, therefore, was "All children over 4 do not have to wear bibs until they spill. Once a child has spilled, he must immediately wear a bib." M was happy with this. Not only did it give him big boy privileges, but it also challenged him toward eating more neatly. Excellent. And might I say, he has become an extremely neat eater since!

The next "rule" or choice offered was as followed, "All children under age 4 may choose between a normal plastic bib or a towel draped over their shirts." Offering T some options for him to choose was wonderful! He took to the towel almost instantly (probably because it is something new and "more grown-up") and now asks for it every time he sits down. He also seems to grasp that when he gets a little older, he'll have new privileges just like his big brother. There is hope in his little world. :) I will say, though, that upon instituting this policy, we had a few stand-offs where T refused to put on his bib or towel. Remember, he is two and two-year-olds are SO very wise. ;) Here's an example of one of our little skirmishes: I said my rehearsed line, "T, would you like to put on your bib and join us for breakfast?" "No, Mommy, no bib," T retorted. "Okay (taking him down from his seat) when you're ready to wear your bib, you may join us. Otherwise, we are trying to enjoy our breakfast so you may finish your tears in your bedroom."
The mere possibility of not getting to eat and having to go to his room was all it took to make him acquiesce to the bib. Battle won.

The final rule is one both boys seem to understand, "All boys wear bibs when eating syrup." This is non-negotiable and essential for our pancake mornings. It will definitely be in place until they stop dipping their pancakes in syrup by hand--and perhaps that's an appropriate progression for this rule later on. "When you begin to use a fork and knife to eat your pancakes, you can stop wearing a bib for syrupy breakfasts." Magnifico!

So there you have it--three simple rules. They are not complex, but allow me to make some general guidelines, the children to feel some freedom, and all of us to walk away from the breakfast table more presentable now that we're dressed for our days. I mainly enforce the bib rule at breakfast for by lunch and dinner, they're already so dirty and scrappy, we're just ready to be done with the day. I also find the latter two meals to be generally less messy. No doubt, though, the bib policy would do fine extending throughout the day.

New Practice on the docket for tomorrow, Ash Wednesday--eating policies! How appropriate as we all begin to reflect on ways to sacrifice more during the Lenten season.

God bless you today,

5 comments:

Carolina Girl said...

I'm loving this! Any advice for a one year old who wants to touch everything he's not supposed to?? He thinks it's funny when we say "No, don't touch" and remove him from said object. And he just goes back for more!

Shannon said...

I'm TOTALLY loving your new family guidelines!
you are so cheerful about them too, what a beautiful way to live out your vocation, you dear mama!

I pray tomorrow is a beautiful day for you and your littles.

Be well!

Erin said...

Way to keep up the good work B! i love the clearly stated and ordered guidelines...easy for the little boys to follow. I also love the attention you are giving to their independence while keeping behavior within the stated guidelines...fantastic.

Off topic from bibs, but appropriate as we start lent today, do you have any thoughts on fasting while breastfeeding? I am in no position to deprive myself of calories right now, but thought I could just do "simple" meals today like plain oatmeal instead of oatmeal with the works (sugar, syrup and more sugar). Between being pregnant and nursing I haven't fasted in a long time, and I have a little bit of a longing for that spiritual discipline again. However, as one wise priest told me when i was pregnant, "that baby doesn't have to fast!" that is, it was still my duty to feed the baby. Just some thoughts on my mind this ash Wednesday morning :).

B-Mama said...

Carolina Girl, I would recommend giving his hand a firm squeeze along with the "No, don't touch." He'll get the message and might even cry a little bit. But don't be fooled--he's not hurt and just upset that he's not gotten away with it! It may take a few times, but he'll get the message! ;)

Erin, I'm with on not needing the fasting calorie deficit right now while still breastfeeding. Since I've been pregnant or nursing now for the past five Ash Wednesdays(!), I've had to nevigate this issue a lot!! While pregnant, I accept dispensation. When nursing, I try to cut back on my daily meals and go along with the Church's official recommendation for fasting. Two light meals equivalent to a full meal. "Light meal" for me, though, is probably like someone else's full meal. :) Sounds like you are approaching the day with the right attitude, which is exactly the goal!! Blessings to all on this start of Lent!!

Catherine said...

Congratulations! Sounds like great progress. My older boys (5 & 3) have been very messy eaters. My 1 year old twins were more interested in using silverware than the boys were until we said "if you use a fork, you don't have to wear a bib!"

Lilypie First Birthday tickers