Friday, August 20, 2010

Head 'em up

Move 'em out...

The G's are heading to Maine! GG's old boys' camp offers a week of "family camp" in August, so we're giving it a go--3 Gasperini boys, 1 baby girl, 2 grandparents (how could we leave out our beloved Mimi/Papa duo?), and 2 crazy parents... off to camp! I'm happy to report Mimi, J, MG, and I will be staying across the lake, "roughing it" in GG's Uncle's beautiful log cabin. Ahh, the perks of being a nursing, postpartum mother! :) Meanwhile, GG, Papa, M, and T will be staying in a tent amidst camp. The boys are pumped to fall asleep to flashlight. Cute!

The contents of the van's trunk is why you haven't heard much from me this week! We've been packing since Sunday and whew! what a difference it makes when you prepare in advance. GG and I figured a day of packing per family member, so these days that meant starting on the weekend! We had 7 clothing bags total this trip (two for GG--ha! :) He insisted on bringing his camping backpack--I seriously haven't seen him this excited for something in a LONG time. He's like a little boy in a 30'something body! Maine obviously holds a special place in his heart... and he's itching to share it with his family. Too cute.
You may also notice the absence of our wonderful "Big Blue" minivan for the trip. Alas, Blue just doesn't have the "get up and go" necessary to trust for such a long trip. We had to "settle" on a silver 2010 Honda Odyssey from the rental car co. I'm in heaven!! The boys were so thrilled to play inside today upon its arrival... Who knew such fun could be had in a van on a hot summer day? Our boys always find fun. Each was climbing in his seat and would have been ready to leave then and there. We were just missing one thing: Daddy! :)
The cherry on top was our little MG sleeping 10 hours last night, leaving me with 7.5 in my personal sleep tank. Woo hoo!! What a gem that little girl is and her timing was impeccable, considering our 3am departure time tomorrow! So now we're going to screw it all up with a vacation! boo hoo! I am hoping she goes with the flow and shows us some more good shut eye... Here's to hoping!

And we're off!! The security alarm is set (for any of you up to no good!) and I can't wait to report as to our adventures. I will probably get a chance to check in at least once this week, so check back in for a status update. Prayers for an uneventful journey would be so appreciated.

God bless and bon voyage,

8 comments:

va mama said...

Take many stops and keep alert! We can't wait to see you in Maine. I can already taste the buttered lobster and hear the haunting cry of the loons. Brix Brax!

FL G and P said...

We're all envious of time spent in Maine! Such fun and beauty awaits you-GG introducing you all to his little slice of heaven. We anxiously await your news and stories!!

Anonymous said...

What a fun adventure! Can't wait to see updates. I think this time will be a blessing for heart and soul. :)

love, Catherine

Carolina Girl said...

You G's are amazing! Have I ever told you that??

Aren't all men boys in grown up bodies? So happy for GG to be able to share this place with his family.

And I'm loving MG's smiles!!!! They come around just at the right time!

Right Said Red said...

Hope your having a blast! We can't wait to see you on the trip home. I pray you get some good sleep!

Christy said...

Been thinking about you and the crew all weekend. I hope the trip up there was uneventful - but in a fun way! Have a great week and I hope everything goes beautifully!

Be safe and have fun!

The Ballee Girls said...

I love those honda odesseys!

Does GG still have his backpack from OA? Mine is gone somewhere, wish I knew at what point along life's road that I lost it!?

Elso said...

You are going to have so much fun! We did an overnight camping trip with the boys this past spring and it was a blast. I hope all goes smoothly for you and if not maybe in a few years you can laugh about it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers