Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Right Where He Wants Me

Isn't it amazing how God places certain challenges into our lives at just the right moment?
Really. He's so good like that.

He seems to know just when all of us need setbacks and limitations, hang-ups and trials; to hone our skills, prune our proverbial stems, and ultimately, make us better and more equipped for living holy lives in this crazy world. Thank goodness for the fruit such times bear...

Right now would seem like the worst time for me to lose my voice. We are desperately trying to get established--ready the home, meet new people in our day-to-day, schedule doctors visits and line-up health coverage. Instead, I am mute. Initially very frustrating, but in the end, very blessed.

I have been receiving ample lessons of late from my trial of silence. There is no yelling, no frustration, no nothing in our home--just sounds of laughter and play from two little boys and their mama. There is no temptation to chat away the day on the phone or to busy the afternoon with business-related phone calls and tasks!  Instead, in my silence, I am "forced" to cater to my family and to my home.  There has been greater inward attention and might I say, beautiful results. 

I can't tell you how surprisingly *wonderful* yesterday was. I was really dreading it--how does one mother without sound?  I got my answer: she does it with love, tenderness, hugs, and small gestures that go much further toward achieving her desired end of well-behaved, happy children than raised voices do.  Sigh.  If only these lessons were more easily learned.

If only I could glean such goodness without having to lose my voice. Sadly, I can't and I couldn't, and God knows it. He knew a "check-it-off-the-list" kind of person like me, moving into a new home and town, needed to have a greater reason for respite.  And I got it. 

So respite away we go...  Here are some shots of the boys from yesterday's backyard picnic.  They were too busy to smile and pose.  
Hope you are enjoying a blessed Wednesday.

From the land of mute mamas--God bless!!  ;)


8 comments:

Shannon said...

I'm so glad to hear of those blessings! God is so very good to us, however much we think we know what we need! Continuing to keep you in my prayers, B!
Your boys are lucky to have such a loving and fun Mama! :) Take good care of you!

Jessica Anderson said...

what a great swing set! praying for your recovery.

Teacher-Mom said...

I can't imagine B without being able to talk! Ha Ha! Hope your voice comes back soon because I know how much I need mine throughout the day. It really teaches us how to communicate in other ways, though- boy God works in mysterious, and amazing, ways. How are things on the home front? Is that a new playset I see in your yard? Very cool! I bet the boys love it- it will be a lifesaver this summer. Hugs!

B-Mama said...

Yes, the playset is in our yard AND a wonderful godsend. The boys just love it!! There's even a little sandbox underneath, which captivates them further and makes me happier! :) Thanks for the sympathy, girls!

Rachel said...

What a slice of heaven to picnic in your beautiful backyard with your beautiful boys! I'm so glad you are finding some positives in this "mute" experience! Hang in there!

Hugs!

Carolina Girl said...

What great reflection in your time of silence. You teach me to look at things differently. Not just looking at the positive side of a seemingly negative situation, but you teach me to look for God, and therefore, the good in all situations. Thank you for that!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post, Bethany. A great reminder that God's grace is sufficient!

love, Catherine

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post, Bethany. A great reminder that God's grace is sufficient!

love, Catherine

Lilypie First Birthday tickers